Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th400 rebuild cost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomseviltwin, Jun 19, 2005.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a quality th400 rebuild? I want to be an educated buyer. I will remove and install myself.

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

if you go to a bigger city it will be considerably cheaper, here local its about $800 out the door 12month/12,000 mile warranty in portland they advertise in the nickel th350-$325.00 th400-$350.00 700r4-$495.00 these are all prices with convertor, and shift kit they also have 12month/12,000mile warranty i know of a couple people that have gone this route and are very pleased.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I just did mine... came to 900....
    kevlar clutches... extra in the packs
    shift kit
    complete seals and bearing replacing the thrust washer
    new hi po pump
    juiced up valve body.... all the tricks my builder knows
    allison style beefed torque convertor... welded front plate

3/36

Nicest one hes built in 20 years... and the POM of 3/36
    extras I did
    30 k dedicated cooler
    fllter kit
    summit deep pan
    an extra 275.00.......................cheap insurance
    cam

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I paid 350 for mine. Of course I am on my 4th one. Lets see, original 1987 build tranny burned up a week after my 496. Rebuild for $300. Then torque converter bearing came apart, rebuild for $350(hadta replace all the tranny hardparts except case and output shaft). Then my forgetting to clean out the tranny/tcase adapter plate, put metal back into the tranny, so another rebuild, but it was just cleaning the valve body basically, but got charged $10 for new gaskets. So yeh, 4th tranny.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

wow, those are some really high prices, i got mine rebuilt w/ hd clutches, mod line pressure, shift kit, if i put the tranny in 1st it stays in 1st, and a couple other things and it came to $400. the guy knows how to build them.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Dagon yall are high... I (years ago) put a b&m shiftkit stage II in my turbo 400 plus new heavy torque converter, new clutches and bands all for a whopping $200!!!! :cool1:

cost goes down when you do it yourself...

p.s. the tranny was done in 1994 and when I went to manual... the owners still use that tranny and it is holding up great... used every day in a township public works... my father is a mechanic so he keeps me informed that it is in top shape :grin: