Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 + SM465 + NP205???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MNorby, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Could it be done? I have been contemplating quite abit. Build an adaptor to fit a SM465 behind a TH400 tranny. Think of the gearing possibilities. I figured you would not use the bell housing and would have to shorted the input shaft on the 4 speed then either make a coupler or something to mate them. You wouldn't need a clutch cause once you pick a gear you would probably stick with it and you should be able to change gears at stop or slight roll. With that combo you could put like 3.50 axle gears in and for highway use 4th in the manual box for an OD and use 3rd as a slower/ normal driving speed gear. Do you see any complications one would run into putting that together? Thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the th400 would be turning some major RPMs I would think, so that would heat it up and promote wear quite a bit. dual 465s has been done and is being done, only requires 1 clutch. Fitting dual transmissions in a short wheelbase vehicle wouldn't be fun.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

easily done
    what is the shaft stickout distance from the tail housing on your t400?
    is the 400 case strong enough to take the wieght?
    make the sm465 input female 32 spline

4. MNorby

RPM from the th400 to the 465 would be dirrect in 3rd gear since it is 1:1 would be the same as direct from the engine.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think the big key seems to be the input shaft in the 465, if you can get a 32 spline shaft built for it, you're set. I wouldn't use less than a 32 spl.

6. MNorby

what do you suppose the length would be on that thing? We were guesinging abour 6-8" in adaptor (3" output on th400 + 3" input shaft SM465 + room for any expansion etc) plus that 4 speed be too long for a shortbox truck for proper drivelines?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the sm465 input would be female
    the t400 output will plunge into the case of the sm465
    it will stick out of the transmission only about 1/2 passed the case of the transmission
    so using your 3" number for 400 shaft protrusion you would need an adapter about inch and a half between the 400 tail housing and the 465 case