Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 temp normal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just installed a temp guage in my TH400. I used a regular water temp guage (mechanical kind) since no one could tell me why I couldnt, and the temp ranges seemed to be the same as a water guage. The trouble is that so far, the guage hasnt budged off the lower peg. The guage range is from 100 deg to 280 deg F. What is the normal range for the tranny to run? I havent run the truck for any length of time yet, but I figured it may climb a bit within 10 minutes of running. If it does start to heat up, what is the danger range? For info, I installed the sensor in the output line to the rad, so I could read the temp before it is cooled. I used a T junction. and mounted the guage in the cubby hole at the upper right side of the dash.

Thanks for any input...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

GOOD QUESTION, That is my very next option are guages.
    I to have a 400 and would like to know the rang-
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

3. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

acutlly there harder then you think to heat up on my B&m gague it takes probly 20 minuts of drive to get up to like 110 i hav hit 220 befor but that was like 4 hours of driveing and 2 of wheeling hard i think they need to run around 180-200 not for sure i will check my book tommorow and get back to you

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I appreciate it...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The factory gauge on my Allison red lines at about 270 degrees. This is where the fluid will start to burn. On the highway, it will run under 120 degrees most of the time.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I agree with Bandit on the 180 - 200 as being "normal". The cooler you can keep the fluid, the longer the tranny will live. I would start getting real nervious in the 220-230 range. It should take 20-30 minutes to heat up the fluid on a TH400 depending on deep vs shallow pan and how quickly your motor heats up.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I think the trans temp of around T-stat temp is ideal. Above 150 deg. and less than 220/230 deg. Hot enuff to boil out any acumulated water in the trans, but not too hot to burn up clutches and bands. A engine/trans idleing in park will not get the trans up to opperating temps. The torque converter is the major player in heat generation in a tranny, when worked hard like stop and go driveing or up hill climes and towing is when the temps clime into the "danger zone". Normal driveing should keep trans temps low.

Blazer1970/Tim, dig that Duramax/Allison combo? Diesels have realy stepped up, and are makeing some awesome power and M.P.G. numbers. I'd like to know what you think of your new ride. Send a P.M. if you feel like it.

Twiztid

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350 and mine runs at 190 F. Even in the hottest days of summer stuck in a traffic jam!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

9. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

in one of my tranny books its says all trannys should run between 175-225F (79-107C) at 250F varnise begins build form and additves are cooked out of fuild thats quick summery of the 4 pages

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)