Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 vs 700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 4, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 700r4 w/ 200K on it. I have an opportunity to get a TH400 w/ a NP208 for $500. Both have less than 1500 miles on rebuild. I am running 36s, have 4.11 gears, and am either going to upgrade from a 350 to a 393 or 454. My main use for this vehicle is towing a camping trailer. I plan on upgrading from my 17 footer to a 30 footer next year. So, what are some opinions on the trans swap?

Thnaks in advance,

Mark
    aka BurbLover

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I roll with the 400/208 with 35's and 4.11's and a box stock 350, and it works well for me. Nice, easy highway revs, good low end grunt, and can't beat the durability of the 400. I don't miss my 700 at all. I might take that back when I go to 4.56's, but I doubt it. The 400 would be a good thing to have when you go with the fat block.

3. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I would stick with the 400 unless the 700 has been specially built for towing, I think the reliability of the 400 would be worth no OD. IMHO.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, I may get it for this.................but oh well. I have, I would say a nicly built 350ci. engine, and an over built 700r4. I rev the engine to 5000rpm on the street and have been known to manualy shift the trans. at that rpm. Never had a problem with the tranny. itself.
    I must say that if the transmission was not built the way it is I wouldn't try most of the things I do. But I don't think I would do it to a TH400 either. The biggest selling point of the trans. was the guy actually building the tranny inviting me to the track to see his daily driver doing very fast 1/4 mi. times, with the "same"trans..
    Anyhow IMO the 700r4 is AWSOME, it has the lowest (stock) 1st gear ratio, .70 overdrive, and CAN (when built correctly) withstand high horsepower/abuse, . I love my 700, not to say the deal your talking about isn't good,'cause it is. So let the critics abound. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I like the 700R4 if your truck is also your daily driver. The OD is really nice on the freeway. I was just cruising today at 75-80mph and only around 2200rpm with 35s and 4.10s. If the truck is mainly used off-road or is a recreational vehicle, you can't beat the 400. A "built" 700 will never be as stong as a 400, the housing is just sooo much beefier. If you are going to go to a BB then I'd definately recommend the 400 swap to handle all that low end torque.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But BurbLover lives in Colorado Springs, where the lowest point in town is over 6,000 feet above sea level. The roads to the west climb to 9,600 or so, and even to over 11,000 feet, with 6% grades, if he wants to head west on I-70 out of Denver. Try dragging a 30-foot trailer over that with a 350, even a built one, and you'll be hanging out in the slow lane with the semis. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Big blocks or turbo-diesels are the engine of choice for tow vehicles in this part of the world. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

There are places that claim to be able to build a 700R4 that will live in a big block towing applicaiton. However, a STOCK Turbo 400 will do that job. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif If you really need an overdrive, then you can either step up to the 4L80E or add something like a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. Either option will cost big bucks, but the GV box will also let you split gears on those long uphill pulls. So when 3rd gear is too tall and 2nd is too short, 2nd plus overdrive can be just right. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all who commented. I especially appreciate Harry's comments. He hit it right on the money. Most of my driving is/will be towing a camping trailer West out of Colorado Springs. That's about 30 miles straight uphill. Then, I get to hit more hills on the way to Buena Vista. Since my limited amount for non/towing driving will most likely be around 150 miles a month, I think the 400 is the way to go. So, any idea what a 700r4/208 is worth? I've never had any problems with the tranny & the 208 was rebuilt about 15000 miles ago. Since I planning on a engine upgrade, I might just hang on to the 400/208 & put the 454/400/208 in at once & try to sell the 350/700r4/208 as a set (if possible). So, what's a used 350 worth?

Thanks.

Mark
    aka BurbLover