Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH400 wire going nowhere...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Live, from wiring hell... among other things, there's a wire that is connected to the side of my TH400, but isn't attached to anything on the other end. Just hanging there in the engine compartment :( What is it? What is it supposed to do? Do I need it? TIA!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That would be the wire that goes to the passing gear kickdown switch. It should be connected to a switch that mounts on the bracket that holds the gas pedal in place. The other side of the switch goes to a 12 volt source that is only hot in the run position. When 12 volts is applied to the tranny, via the switch (which closes at near full throttle), it downshifts. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry! You are fast approaching wiring god-hood in my book. Back under the truck for me! Later!

4. HarryH3

Must be the computer engineering degree. [​IMG] (And WAY too many hours in the garage building stuff that GM never built). [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

5. HarryH3

Oh yeah, the switch isn't there in a K5, since they never came with Turbo 400's. But the bracket has the holes for the screws that hold the switch in place. You'll need a switch from a Turbo 400 vehicle. Old Jeep Grand Wagoneers are an excellent source for the switch. They came with Turbo 400's for many years and are clogging junkyards everywhere. [​IMG]

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Gm sells them for about ten bucks and yu don't have to climb around in a JY to get them. You may even be able to buy it from NAPA. Just in case your pressed for time.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As an added bonus, you don't HAVE to run a switch at all. (obviously in this case) You'll notice in some cases, it will kickdown on its own from 3-2, if the conditions are right. Or you can use the shift lever. (so easy to wire though, why not do it right)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I was just about to post the obvious next question as yes, there is no switch. Thanks for the info re: where to get one. Always pressed for time... even tho most everything electrical works, there's an awful lot of dangling wires with no home up under the dash. I'm cleaning it up and putting things right (I hate messy wiring - in home or auto) and I gotta tell ya, it looks pretty grim up there.

Just found another dangling thing, a combo of yellow, grey and black wires attached to a connector, hanging down from somehwere up towards the top of the dash by the steering wheel. Heaven knows where that thing goes...

Anyway, thanks again for the info. There's a GM place down the street, so off I go :)

9. HarryH3

How many wires are in the connector that's hanging down? Perhaps we can figure out where it should be plugged in. [​IMG]

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

3, a black one, a yellow one and a gray one. All about 12 - 14 gauge - about normal for what you see under there. Could use all the help I can get Harry! :)

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Harry, re: 3 wire plug thingy. Found where it goes. Radio! One down. A million to go.... :)

12. HarryH3

And I was just about to post that it sounds like the power, ground and dash light feed to the radio. [​IMG]

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You know, you two really make a cute couple. [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL! Guess we are a little "connected", eh Harry?! *ROTFLMAO!* (I know, terrible pun...)

15. HarryH3

[​IMG]

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Got the switch. Looks odd (only one hole) but the GM parts guy assured me it was the right one. Too dark out now to check it out. Will try to install it tomorrow. My guess is within a half hour I'll have another 10 wires hangin down to confuse me or a part that doesn't fit So, more posts on the way!

BTW, Harry, ya look cute when you blush like that.

17. HarryH3

Awww, shucks ma'am.... [​IMG]

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status