Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th400 wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Mar 27, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Any one know where I might source a th400 kickdown wiring harness? I want the factory style not the aftermarket style and can/t seem to find one in any yards around here. Would the dealer or some one sell them? Thanks!

2. cyclone

cyclone 1/2 ton status

harness

I parted a 77 w/TH400, I'll check my storage van for the harness.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

Sweet that would be great just let me know a price if you do have it. And if you do let me know shipping to 79414. I would be very greatful as it would save a LOT of time for me.

4. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey guys- what all does that harness consist of?? i just put a 400 in mine and i am not sure what that little male terminal on the drivers side that looks like a temp. sensor functions as? my 700 nor th350 had it. i appreciate the help before hand thanks. ryan

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

There is an electric switch that mounts to the gas pedal. the harness just connects it to power source and then to the trans. It replaces the TV/kickdown cable on the other trannys. You can buy aftermarket kits that mount the switch in various ways to the carb like the tv cable but they are about $50. I would rather have the factory style cause if the switch goes out then I can get on at the parts store for $12 instead of replacing the entire setup like the aftermarket style would require.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Some Jeep Grand Wagoneers came with a Turbo 400 back in the 70's. They have the switch and wiring that you need and are fairly easy to find in the JY. :)

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

The wagoneers aren't real common around here so that is probably out. In the yards my best bet would be a pickup or sub but so far haven't found any with the harness still there.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If no success in finding someone with one, bring this thread back up top in a few days and I'll check the GM parts manual for you.

I would suspect GM will still have the harness, the TH400 in our applications lasted until 1990 IIRC, so it hasn't been THAT long since they were last used. Age doesn't mean much to GM, just that your chances are better that it is still available.

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

Thanks if you could find a part # for it that would be great. At least I could call the dealer to ? the price.

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

11. dyeager535

Still on my mind. I sat down with my parts manual and flipped through the pages, I didn't find it. :(

I thought for sure it was in there, it certainly should be. It wasn't in the section with the transmissions though, nor under the section with throttle stuff.

If anyone knows what group # it should be, I might find it faster. I won't be home for a few more days, but when I do I will look through it again when I have more time.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

bump

13. dyeager535

I don't know where I saw it, but I went through the manual just now, and it's not there that I see.

Sorry, it's gotta be listed SOMEWHERE. :(

14. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

Called the parts counter at SDPC and they cant find a listing either so I guess I just have to keep looking. Maybe my trip to the yard tomorrow will have better luck!

15. dyeager535

As was mentioned, check the jeeps, but don't forget about any "older" big RWD GM cars, they too might have a TH400. Pedal setup might be a bit similar to the trucks than the Jeep, although not sure if you need that switch as well.

16. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

The switch isn't a big deal they are only 12 bucks or so, but the harness seems like trying to catch a unicorn. I know that there are some 8 lug vans in the yard I am going to and one crewcab similar to mine so maybe I'll get lucky. I guess if nothing else I could make the harness by buying the connector pigtails and running my own wires but I am still hoping that wont be needed.

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

it is just 1 wire from the fuse block to the switch then to the tranny. orange color to the tranny and i think red to the fuse block.

18. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

How does it connect to the fuse block and to the switch. I know I can buy the trans pigtail, but the switch pigtail is unavailable.

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all just flat spade conectors.

20. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

I assume that would be 14ga wire but you know what they say assumptions, do you know what ga wire it is? That may be my best bet if I can't find one. Is there a ground wire in there somewhere as well? Thanks for the help!