Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700 output shaft replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by buknbronco78, Mar 21, 2002.

1. buknbronco78

buknbronco78 Registered Member

I was looking over the ORD website as well as keeping my eyes open for a TBI K5 and for the doubler on the TH700 the output shaft needs to be replaced to use the TH350 NP203. Is this someone with good mechanical skills and the right tools can do without any prior experience of automatic transmission repair? I need to look into it more and ask some of my prior employers/teachers what they know. Or is this a professional type operation?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

IMO its a professional operation... the output shaft is the very last thing to come out. To replace it, you basically have to tear down the whole tranny. Not something I'd wanna undertake. Because of that, I am having a spacer machined that will allow me to run a np205 behind my 700R4. The advance adapters option (new output shaft) is just to much a PITA for me.

J

3. buknbronco78

buknbronco78 Registered Member

Who is machining the adapter and whats the cost in something like? I guess I should check out the local machine shops. Another option is if I should get the trans rebuilt get it thrown in then, but then I would need to put the doubler or Np203/205 in right away. Eh well maybe ill just get something older.

4. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I just finished installing a doubler behind my 700R4 tranny, and for simplicity, I just used my same 208 adapter with the 203 t-case. The splines from a TH350 version 203 and the 700R4 output are the same. Unfortunately, the output shaft is too long to work with the 203 adapter, but is just fin with the 208 adapter to the 203. You will need to redrill the mounting holes on the face of the 203 to match the 208 adapter. I used allen head set screws for the unused holes and put them in with locktite and some silicone. You will want to make sure you have the 208 adapter in the same position as the 203 adapter to keep the t-case in the correct position. I also used ORD's dual shifters which necessatated them sending me a 2" longer mounting plate and 2" longer shift rods. I had to grind a little on the top of the 208 adapter to make room for the mounting plate to bolt up which still uses two of the existing holes from the 203 adapter. I really wasn't that bad. The worst part is that you lengthen the whole doubler set up by two inches, but being I'm such a cheapskate, I liked saving the $160 bucks for not having to replace the output shaft, plus not having to tear apart the tranny was nice.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have the thing designed on autoCAD... the machinist guy said it'd be in the $100 range... but he wont know until he sees my design. School and being sick have got in the way of sending him the file... but I am gonna do it pronto.

J