Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th700 overdrive shudder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigMan, Feb 7, 2001.

1. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

The tranny in my fiancee's truck has begun to shudder in overdrive, It started out very lightly doing it, now it's almost violent at times. Is there anything that can be done to cure this short of rebuilding it?

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it is bad now which usual means it's already done transmission damage. Anyway you go you are looking at dropping out the tranny so I usually say driver her till she drops and save for the costly rebuild. At our shop we have had some very good luck with a friction modifer called LUBE GARD (it is the correct spelling). It usually calms the shuttering and adds life to the trans. Have you check the fluid level? Also look at the fluid condition? Is dark or burnt smelling? Could drop the pan and look also to get a better feel of how long she'll last.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

Are these trannies expensive to rebuild? My tranny shop did my th400 for $500. What can I expect this one to cost?

4. CaptCrunch

Well depends what you want done. R & I (removal and installation) of the Tcase and trans is 6 hrs in our mitchell labor guide, at our shop the labor rate is $80/hr... so you figure about $450 or $500 just for the R & I. I called around just to see what it costs normally at a repuable tranny shop and found quotes to be between 1400 and 1800 w/ the T. coverter. I have seen rebuild in the trad'n times here for $450 and another $100 for the T. converter, but not sure who this is? A guy in his garage, a shop, or a tranny builder's side work. I had mine built up by my buddy who works at a transmission shop because he owes me a favor and I'm swamped so have no time to even do R & I. I'm getting it all for the price of parts which came to about $450... I went for the Raybestos Blue clutchs w/ extra clutch packs and some extra heavy duty parts that are aftermarket. But back to your question I'd say about 1500 for everything or if you do the R & I you could probably get it for 6 or 7 bills depending what you want. The tranny definetly could last... especially w/ the Lube Gard... I put that in a Olds and the sucker went darn near another 40k!

5. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

well I didn't want to mention it on a 4x4 board but it's a two wheel drive truck. (SHHHH don't tell anyone) I believe that makes the r&i a little cheaper. That's up there though. For that price I could buy an already built unit. I could do the install but just don't have the time. I just want to fix the thing so I can sell it. Mabey the friction modifyer will straighten it out long enough to sell it.

6. CaptCrunch

2wd would then cost roughtly 800 or 900 installed. Just because I hate getting screwed when I buy something I really recomend telling them something about the trans... heck could sell it to some wacko these days that is gonna come after you w/ an ax. I'd just tell them like the trans was acting a little weird but your mechanic topped of the fluid and put in an addative and works mint now... so at least they have a clue... I think that's fair, but then again I'm way too nice sometimes LOL

7. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

Oh I'd tell them, I have a habit of being too honest for my own good. Besides it's a spotless 92 from texas which you don't find too often in WI. I won't have a problem selling it.

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure it's the tranny?? I had a bad shudder that was 100 percent sure was the OD. I took it to a tranny place and they said OD brings out problems that you wouldn't normally notice. It turns out I had a misfiring plug and the worst time you could feel it was light acceleration in OD.

If it is the tranny, the Lube Guard stuff is supposed to be pretty nice to suppress problems in the tranny though.

Good luck.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had this problem the other night. I floored it, and it started to shake lightly as I sped up. Is this normal?

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

10. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

This one does it at light accelleration, When I floor it it stops.
    As for the other question, I]m pretty sure but not positive. I had a car that I swore the tranny was going out becuse it was doing the same thing as this one. A week later the cataletic converter blew wide open, I replaced it and it never happened again. On second thought, I'm sure it's the tranny. When you put it in park from gear it makes that whinning/clicking noise. She started having problems when she moved up here and pulled her horse trailer 1200 miles. Half way up it blew all the fluid out the seals. after it cooled down we filled it back up and continued on, it actually held. Untill now that is.

11. CaptCrunch

Ahhh... good old vibes in the driveline... yuck! Basically a vibe coming for the converter will stop if you tap the brake (this disengages the torque converter), but you can also have other things in the tranny causeing a vibration... Vibes are very tricky... it maybe tires, wheel bearings, or even brakes if it is more speed related... if it happens at the rame rpm, it's probably in the engine... if happens at different rpms it's is usually a driveline vibe.... especially if it is worse on the gas and subsides when you let off. First thing I do is pull the driveshaft and do the u-jt's.... it is the probable cause and pretty cheap to fix... check out the shaft for missing weights, dents, whatever...also make sure the tail shaft and yoke are good and there is no slip... another note is vibes can come from the tcase, but will change when you go into 4wd or 4L. Final stuff is driveshaft balance (unusual) and then the gears in the rear. So there is kinda a diagnois in a nutsheel.

12. CaptCrunch

yeah a clean one is tough to find up here. I'm in Minneapolis and the only reson my truck is as clean as it is, is because it is from SD where they don't use salt.

13. CaptCrunch

wow you really over heated her. Ouch.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like she was pulling the trailer in overdrive, instead of drive (which is what GM recommended for towing with 700R4's). That will make 'em overheat and puke fluid all over the place. NOT a good thing to do to a 700R4. [​IMG] Sounds like you'll need to become friends with the best transmission shop in town. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>