Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700 shift points

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 18, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Am I doing this wrong????? I have always adjusted my t.v. cable by retracting it all the way in... then using the throttle lever on the carb to extend the cable back out. When I do this the trans seems to shift far too soon. Unforunately I have stock 3.08 gears and 33" tires so shifting early is definately not a good thing !!!! Is it safe to use trial and error to correct this or will I possibly do more harm than good?? The trans also seems to shift slowly into 2nd gear . I will be changing the fluid this weekend....might that solve my problem or is there another likely cause??

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I went through this nightmare too! You will damage the trans if you don't have it adjusted right, but you can drive it a LITTLE to test it out. GO SLOW. Anyone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I was told to fix mine(Its lasted for over a year now in an iroc). When the cable is pulled as far out as it can go, the carb should be all the way open......meaning when you rev the carb its revved all the way back. (do this with the car off) when the carb is not being revved (idle) the cable should be as far in the tranny as it will go. I hope you know what i'm talking about. Make sure you have the right cable for your set up. It sounds like you have the cable to far out of the tranny. let a little more slack out, then take it for a test drive,adjust it as necessary. I hope this helps....keep me posted on your progress........JS

3. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

This might help some...... When I bought it a month or so ago it shifted fine then I installed a new intake and edelbrock carb but used the original throttle/trans bracket .Everything lined up just fine so I had left the cable just like it was but it wasn't shifting right so I readjusted it just as you described and it extended the cable nearly all the way out of the adjustable sleeve. It seems to be a little smoother(and shift a little later) if I bring the cable back in some ...but if I bring it back too much further it will limit the carb movement and maybe harm the tranny??!!?? Any ideas???

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing in the IROC with a carb and performer RPM manifold. Make sure you have where the cable attaches to the carb in the right slot. The true answer to your problem, (if the cable is connected in the right place on the carb), is to just by trial and error readjust the cable. Or have a tranny shop adjust it for you in a worst case senario. But i'm confident with enough adjusting you could fix it yourself...JS

5. River

River 1/2 ton status

Go to www.bmracing.com than go to the downloads section and download transpak 82-93 (565kb) on the last page are the instructions how to adjust the cable on aftermarket carbs.

I hope this will help you.

greetings from Amsterdam,

River `89 k5, 350ci, Th700r4, NP241, 33", 2.73