Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700 Shifts Firm Real Firm!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 2, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Some of yall have probably read my other post about putting an engine in my 87 K5. Well, now that its in, I have gotten to drive it around. It is a FI350, with 139,000 miles on it, and is now and has been completley stock all of its life (That is going to change as soon as I get that echobit flip, 14 bolt, and 35's in though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). My question is, is really firm shifting a sign of the transmission going out? I pull it down into drive and its smooth as can be, but when I get the speed up, the shifts between gears is horribly firm. Jerks the whole truck. I am going to change the fluid and filter soon, but was just wondering if this is a sign of the trans going out. I think its either that, or it was just re-built really tightly. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

did you adjust the TV cable? if there is too much pressure it will shift really hard.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

No, I havent thought of that. Thanks.
    -Harrison

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If you figure out how you made that 'mistake', let me know. My T-700 is way to lazy....

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm not sure which is worse. If you rode in my truck, you would be surprized the transmission doesnt fall out every time it shifts.
    -Harrison

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't waste too much time waiting to adjust that TV cable.....from what I've read, if it's out of adjustment it will destroy the tranny very quickly......

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, I'm not. The blazer is not being driven everyday, and has only been driven maybe 6 or 7 miles like this. I am going to pick it up and bring it home today, and will adjust it before I drive it. Thanks.
    -Harrison

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

too tight of a cable will cause tranny to wind up far high into each gear before shifting, also same thing will occur if cable is not connected or if something under the pan is not connected right, quicker shift is alwasy better than low rpm shift, but theres a such thing as too much RPM before shift in most cases.
    to adjust 700r4 TV cable you open throttle by hand all the way and then depress the cable housing sleeve lock button at the intake manifold bracket, just behind it towards rear of truck, then pull cable housing behind the bracket back til cable is tight with throttle still wide open by hand, then let go of button and then let go of throttle

now go test drive, if you did it right or if tranny is not boogered up then all should be great in tranny-land

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i was told to adjust the cable you push in the tab on the back of the bracket and push the adjuster all the way to the firewall. then you open the throttle all the way with the gas pedal. when you do this you should here the adjuster click as it adjusts out to where it should be.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thought I would post a follow up for yall. The cable was already adjusted all the way to the firewall (causing the firm shifting), so I adjusted it back a little, and got it shifting about perfectly. Thanks for the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison