Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700 slow shifting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wilma, May 22, 2006.

1. Wilma

Wilma Registered Member

Hi!

Thanks to the good advice I have received here earlier my GMC -85 is now equipped with a -88 TH700. It works nicely - the car moves both forwards and backwards... :D

But, I have a new question! It seems to me that it shifts gears fairly late compared to what I´m used to. Could this be a normal phenomenon due to the TH700 coming from a newer vehicle, or is it something that should be adjusted somehow? (I have adjusted the TV-cable to the best of my knowledge, and have tried readjusting it several times just in case I got it wrong...)

Please, any ideas are welcome! I don´t want to ruin the tranny by doing something wrong! :o

/Wilma in Sweden

2. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I'm no tranny guru by any means,but I believe the governer spring controls the shift points,so it can be setup for earlier or later shifts.I would'nt try to adjust the shift points through the tv cable

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

make sure its full of fluid?

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

do you mean it builds more rpm's before shifting like when the filter stops up? the shift points should be
    1-2.....15-20 mph
    2-3.....25-30
    3-4.....40-45
    maybe this will help.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

readjust the TV cable. this is the biggest thing that controlls shift points.

if you have it close, try going IN with the adjuster 1 click at a time till it feels right. going out will make it sloppier/slower

6. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

i have mine almost all the way out for it to shift right when it was in it shifted real late i hated it drove me crazy

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

every cable is different, some may need to be pulled out some may need to be pushed in.

8. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

the governer controls your shift points. pry the governer cap of the left side of tranny, pull the governer out. hold by the end and turn it up then over to make sure the valve moves very freely. they will gum up if the tranny hasn't been serviced properly. best thing to do is go ahead and take it a part and clean the valve with carb cleaner and a soft clean cloth as long as you have it out. drive the roller pin out of the gear to disassemble and be very careful not to scratch the valve assembly. reassemble-stick back in, put small bead of silicone around cap lip where rubber gasket used to be. This is something many people don't know or over look. and is real easy and quick to try, not to mention a cheap fix if it's the problem. another thing is these have a plastic gear and it the teeth are damaged can cause all kinds if problems, like not wanting to shift or irradict shifts.