Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700 toast – Need Good transmission shop in Seattle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spin2win, Jan 17, 2006.

1. spin2win

spin2win Registered Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Ok, so my brother just gave me his ’89 K5 which is stock with 31’s. The truck has 195k miles on the original motor. The only bummer is that the TH700 is blown. The transmission was changed 30k miles ago, but I’m guessing they did something wrong.

My intentions for this rig will be as a DD with light wheeling/light towing. It may get lifted 4” and 35’s in the future, but I’ll re-gear with the tires. Overdrive is a must, and I’m willing to cough up the $$ for the TH700 rebuild, but I don’t want to fix this transmission for another 150k miles, if ever.

I’m going to change the thing my self, but I need to know a few things for the transmission fix:

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Quality shop in Seattle area for TH700 rebuilds.
    2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Suggestions on upgrades to make the transmission bullet proof.
    3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Converter suggestions.

From reading other posts this is what I know so far:
    1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Run as big of a transmission cooler as I can find.
    2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Run a temperature gauge.
    3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Run an external filter.

I appreciate any advice.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Nov 17, 2003
    Get one from Bowtie Overdrives. There have been several people on here who have used them and have no complaints. Their prices seem very reasonable too. There's also a page on that site that tells you step by step on how to correctly install it yourself.
  3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

From what I have heard it would also be worth checking into a GM replacement from the delaer, good warranty apparently.