Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th700R in first get, gear selector linkage

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Nov 9, 2003.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'll be putting in the 700r in my first get. I am thinking of moving the engine forward, which in turn moves the tranny linkage up a bit. for anyone who's done this; did you run into any binding issues..

thanks,

ARQ

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

let me know how it goes...I have a 700 ready to go in and just need to think about what to do....want to do mine? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Thats how I did my 67 I wanted to get the engine away from the fire wall I organaly made My own linkage like the universal kits you can buy but now locar has a new cable lincage out that works with the stock steering column and I think I may use it so I wont have a binding problem.when the blazer is back on the road with its 700 when I first didit I modified the stock linkage and it was constintly coming a part if I got on it hard but it may not have done this in the blazer the 67 is a 2w drive.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I moved the eng forward.I still use the stock linkage.With a little adjustment you will even be asble to shift it into 1st.
    There is one bracket on the drivers framerail that needs to be swung forward.There are 2 bolts on that bracket.Remove the bottom one and swing the bottom forward.Redrill a new hole and that's it.
    I can get pic's tommorrow if you'd like.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so you were able to get the shifter to go into first...and how far did you move it up? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I swung the bracket as far forward as it could go.Again I kept the top bolt in so it only swung 1"-1.5" at the most but it was enough to align the linkage to the shifter on the side of the trans.

I have a tilt steering wheel and I had problems with the shifter indicator hitting the shifter housing when I tried to manually shift into 1st.

I solved the prob. by sliding the indicator out of the housing and just let it ride on the slot where it goes into the column.
    It's hard to explain,I'll get pic's on Tuesday.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

pic would be great... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Alright here's those pic's.

The Yellow is where the bottom of the bracket used to be.
    The red arrow shows the direction I swung the bracket.
    [​IMG]

Looking from underneath the truck here.The moved bracket on the right now lines up with the shifter on the 700R4.
    [​IMG]

This how I have the linkage adjusted.
    [​IMG]

Lines up pretty well.
    [​IMG]

The white indicator is out of the indicator housing.This allows the 1st gear shift.If I keep the white pointer in the housing when you try to shift into 1st the white pointer will hit the far right side of the indicator housing.
    [​IMG]

This is on a tilt column.The arrow shows the pointer is not sitting "IN" the indicator houseing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

very nice, i'm going to have to get under my truck to see were that bracket is...the pics are great, i'll keep you in mind when i get it to that point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

The bracket is on the drivers frame rail,just behind the rear shackle.

11. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I the secound pick that pin that goes out from the frame and goes in to the trans linkage that is ware mine always started to pop apart it did good for a while gut then the hole started to get biger abd biger. you may want to drill a hole threw it and use a spring and washer like the opisate side it may keep it from waring out I would have tried it on mine but it was to far gong to mes with. I guess I could have welded a washer on one side of it to make it a little stronger. you may never have a problem with it but if you have it all apart it would be alittle extra insurence that it wont fail. Cralling under the truck with a screw drive and pring it back to gether gets old when your on a trail for the week end and no welder to fix it.

12. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

BobK,

With your stock lift, do you have any clearance issues between your K-member and the top of your front diff housing?

13. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

No,none.

14. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

this is good info :-) that was also one of my concerns when moving the drive train foward. I am going with a 2" lift. so i was not too worried about clearance between diff and xmember.

did you feel the rear getting lighter?? i would assume that moving the engine forward would move the center of mass forward a bit.

ARQ.

15. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

The truck has only gone end over end once...during an emergency stop.
    I keep the gas tank full now and havn't had an "end over" since!

:wink1: Seriously though,the handleing of the truck is the same as it was before things got moved.I feel no difference.
    My crappy brakes are the same now as they were before the move,although I'm sure moving things forward puts even MORE strain on them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The truck has only gone end over end once...during an emergency stop.
    I keep the gas tank full now and havn't had an "end over" since!

[/ QUOTE ]

you too uh!!
    I try to keep my seat all the way back when I drive /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifyou guys had me going there for a while, just kidding. maybe i should put the passangers all the way to the back.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ARQ.

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always tack weld the pivot bracket for linkage from a 73-87 to the 67-72 frame rail when i move drivetrain or convert form manual to auto trans

easier than trying to drillt he two holes needed ot botl it to frame rail

also i dotn think that 2" wil make any noticeable difference in how vehicle drives or feels, you may imagine it though,

good luck