Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700R4 Part Identification Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hi, I am trying to figure out what part this is. If you look at the driverside of the TH700R4, there is something that looks like a cover near the front. When trying to diagnose where the noise from a trouble area is coming from, it sounds like it is the loudest near this spot. Someone I know said they changed a part out of there in their shop class, he thought it was something to do with the lockup and was called a lockup cylinder and might be what has been giving me trouble. I can't seem to find anything called that, and the closest I could find is a lockup solenoid, but from what I can find it doesnt go there. Any ideas? I included a link to a pic that i found, with the cover removed.

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/relay_install/graphics/700r4_establishing_bg.jpg

Thanks,
    Matt

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the cover on the driverside is very close to the back of the transmission. it is the governor cover, it regulates shift points depending on how fast it is spinning. the cover just prys off, then you can pull it out and look at it.

the cover near the front is on the pass side, under it is the 2-4 servo.

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

ok that is mostly what i was thinking. does that servo just come out after i take the cover off? i had tried having them look up either a lockup cylinder or the governor when i was at advanced auto parts before, but neither came up. would i ask for them to look up the servo then? Thanks!

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tranny shop for that part is best bet. or junk yards. comon problem with the plastic gear strips out on the gov unit.

5. big83chevy4x4

neither have anything to do with lockup.

if the servo is making noise, then you have more problems than a replacement will fix. requireing the tranny to be gone threw. the only thing to go bad in the servo is a few seals, and if they are bad you would have no 2nd or 4th, maybe both.

the governor on the other hand is a piece of cake, common area, usually not a noise maker though. the only place you are going to find a replacement is at the dealer or a tranny shop, i can get them also, but my price list is a few years old so im not sure what the price would be. its usually $40 for the entire brand new governor.

make sure you know what cover it is. the governor is stamped steel, the servo cover is cast aluminum. there is a BIG difference in what the problem could be, and the solution.

6. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

ok...I think it might be the servo. i meant to say the passenger side in my first post. If that is something to start going, is that a spot that could make a consistent almost ticking like noise?

When I was last driving it, I would have trouble going over about 40. It would shift, then it was like I had no power. If I let off on the gas till my speed came back down, then it would drop back down a gear and drive fine...

7. big83chevy4x4

does it do it all the time, even when not driving but the engine running? ive never heard the servo make any noise, ever. im wondering if its not the band (what the servo pushes on) or the drum the band rides on.

i can't think of any reason for it to do that, sounds like it may be binding in a shift, its hard to tell with out driving it.

if you want to pull the servo, its almost impossible to do it in the vehicle. you need to push the cover down while you dig out the snap ring. it takes quite a bit of force to compress the spring, probably 50-70 lbs. there is a tool that you use to compress it easily, but its about $250. i haven't need it yet, its a piece of cake to do it when the trannys out.

sounds like you may wanna call a tranny shop. doesn't sound like a quick simple fix.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hmm...I've pulled my servo out a few times with the tranny in the vehicle. No problem. :confused:The governor is even easier.

I don't think either one would make any noise. If the governor was making noise, your speedometer and odometer probably wouldn't be working. The pump can make a lot of noise, but it will do it whether the vehicle is moving or not. If the noise happens all the time, it almost has to be the pump or the torque converter. If it only happens while the vehicle is moving, then it is likely something in the geartrain.

You can only get to the lockup solenoid by removing the oil pan.