Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH700R4 TH350 TH400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

OK fist of what the most a 700r4 can handle (HP and TQ wise)with out anyproblem and beind ran somewhat hard on occation with 33-35in tires.

Second If you to buy a ditch the old stock 700R4 would most of you decide to go with a TH 350 or 400 ive looked at B&M tannys and sal that there like $850 for a 350 and $950 for a 400 and the 700r4 is atleast $1500 btw what is the weight comparion between the 3?

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what the most a 700r4 can handle (HP and TQ wise)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a fairly subjective question. Who's building it and how much are you willing to pay. I'm currently in the market for a new or rebuilt 700r4 and I am really torn on how to spend the money. I'm looking at the site below and have found 2 people that used them in the past successfully. Check out the link... its got prices and hp handling for the different levels.

www.700r4.com

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

As far as I'm concerned, the TH350 should not even be a consideration...lol, They are poop. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The TH400 is a no brainer...Doesn't get stronger as far as GM auto's go, (Unless you count the new Allison auto), They are fairly inexpensive and easy to find. The 700r4 has a couple things goin for it....the low first gear and the OD. Other than that....Not much to recomend it as far as I'm concerned. We've all heard the stories about the 700. It all depends on what you do with your truck, tire size, gear ratios, horse power, there are ALOT of varibles. For me....I had a TH350 behind my big block- It only lasted about a month before it died...Swapped in the 400 and all is well so far. So if I'm gonna run an auto, it's gonna be TH400, or if I'm gonna run a manual, it'll be the SM465.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

TH350's have to be taken care of. TH400 can just be run forever it seems, if you are not making ungawdly amounts of power.

the 700 seems to be the weakest of the bunch, IMHO. I have run th350's with sucess, but as always gearing in a auto equipped rig is important for the life of your 700R. but even then they seem to have more problems than the others.

5. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

The TH700 if built with brand name components ( such as Jet, B$M, TCI, etc..) should be able to handle around 450lbs.ft of torque. The TH-350 also if properly built can exceed that , I've been told. The TH-400 is the toughest, it can handle around 600-700 lbs.ft, if properly built, of course. No matter which one you go with, it has to be built professionally in my opinion, and a tranny cooler will help keep it trouble free. Keep us posted

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I've gone through 3 700r4's and 3 or 4 th350 (cant remember for sure how many) in last 2.5yrs.
    I'm gonna try out the 400 next time around. I won't waste my time again on a th350. I do like the 700, but my track record isn't so hot and I dont need OD anymore. They don't seem to hold up to the torque so well. As pointed out earlier if you want OD and low 1st gear then go that way just make sure its built by a reputable shop and explain to them what your gonna use it for. If you dont need OD then get a 400. Hell they come stock behind a 454 that should tell ya something.