Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thaing a frozen block

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 11, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Any tips for thawing a Caddy 400 that was left full of WATER (suspect a shop) in a week of below 0 F temps? If I can thaw it I can have the car, since they think it's junk now anyway (assuming a cracked block)...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

make sure and do a SLOW thawing out of it, if you thaw it out to fast, it might crack on you, if not already.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With only water in the block and a week at those temps the block is cracked...almost 100% guaranteed.

First thing to do would be to remove the belts that drive the water pump. If that area is packed with ice the water pump won't turn and the belts will burn.

I'd probably remove the rad hoses and use a heat gun or hair dryer tp thaw the ice out of that first. Chances are good the rad is cracked too though.

Then I'd fire it up and let it run for a few minutes...maybe 5-10 minutes. Shut it off and see if there is any water dripping or running out of the lower hose part of the water pump. Let it sit for a few minutes and then let it run a little more.

Once it's thawed, hook the belts back up, hook up the hoses again and fill with water and anti-freeze and see if it holds pressure. Check the oil, depending on where or if it cracked coolant might get into the oil turning it into a milky baby poop.

Don't get your hopes up...

Rene