Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thank Goodness we have a Cowboy in the Whitehouse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Jan 21, 2001
    "I won't be insulted. I won't be wronged. And I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same out of them."
    --John Wayne

Many of the pundits on TV and diplomats of the United Nations have recently complained that we have a 'cowboy' in the White House in George W. Bush. They say that the president would do well to avoid giving that impression, as the American people don't want to see that sort of person serving as our nation's comander-in-chief.

This came as a bit of a shock to me. There are a lot of ways I don't want to see my president act. I don't want to see him act like a philanderer or a liar. I don't want to see him act like a coward like some of the folks over at the U.N. But a cowboy?? I have to say, acting like a cowboy suits me just fine. Cowboys have been known throughout history as being true of heart and quick to right wrongs. Cowboys believe in courage and honor and justice, and strange notions like defending the weak and standing when a lady enters the room. Perhaps cowboys have gotten a reputation as being hasty because they're not afraid to draw a line in the sand and stand their ground.

Perhaps if the United Nations had acted like a cowboy, we could not be where we are today. There is an old saying in Wyoming that was once adopted by an Army regiment during the first World War. Many of the young men serving in this regiment hailed from Wyoming and had no doubt spent some time working a fence line or breaking horses or doing any number of things that cowboys are known to do. When charging into battle, they yelled, "Powder River, Let 'er buck!" This is the cowboy spirit.

Sometimes we are faced with ugly work that we can find no way around. This is one of those times. Our men and women in uniform are at this very moment engaged in battle to protect our freedom. I don't know if their battle cry remains the same, but I have no doubt they carry the same values and traditions as their forebears. All through history, it has been a cowboy of one sort or another who must finally stand up for what is right, even if it means a fight. Sadly, this is one of those times. And, thankfully, we finally have a cowboy in office. A white hat in the White House. It suits me fine. "Powder River, Let 'er buck!"

Barbara Cubin
    Wyoming's Representative
    U.S. Congress
  2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

Aug 1, 2002
    RIGHT ON!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2000
    Thats all the Spirit Of America! And I'll never apologise for it! I say YES!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif