Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THANK YOU GREG72!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Itali83, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to thank you so much for all of your help with my system questions. I ended up making one box for both 10's and putting it behind the rear seat. Totally what I didn't want but I kinda had to, I couldn't get the subs to fit right the other way, and I was getting frustrated so I made a kick bitt box for the back. I did everything right and it willl not need to be touched again. I'll take some pics of it when I get a chance and post them up for ya to look at. I really like the sound I'm getting, they are really punchy which I like.
    I'd like you to tell me some drum solo stuff that you got because I'd like to some how listen to them on my new system. I've basically got it all fine tuned but I'm still moving the box around to see where it sounds the best.
    I just want to thank you again SO MUCH and if anyone wants help with audio stuff, GREG IS YOUR MAN!!!!!!!!! thanks again man[​IMG]
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Awww Geeee....... [​IMG]

Ben you're very welcome! I'm glad it worked out in one way or another...any idea what your total volume of the box is? What subs did you go with? I think I remember something about JBLs?

Anyway, congrats.....and thanks for the kind words.

-Greg72

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I acually stole the dimentions from my friends JL box. He spent 150 for his, I spent 16 dollars for the wood [​IMG] yea I got 2 JBL 10 inchers. They were priced right and I really like them. The box is sealed and rectangle you had to ask because my directions are in my garage 100 yards away, so I don't remember the exact dimentions, but I did build it JUST like the JL box that is made for 2 10's. I may need a cap now that I'm running the system, the lights don't flash, but with the system cranked on a bassiful(my own word[​IMG] ) song, the volts will drop to about 12.5-13 volts at a traffic light at night with the heater on. SO if I get one, I'll just the half farad(or whatever it is called) I won't need a full farad because this is as big as I'm going. Tell me what you think aboutt he cap idea. I like the sounds of getting a 1/2 monster cap for 80 bucks than a full monster cap for 180. Also I noticed that on some of the cd's I have, the bass kicks won't even make the subs really pound, is that because the acual frequency isn't low enough for the deck to tell the subs to work? Or something else, 9-10 songs will make the subs pound. I have a kenwood excelon 301 amp, so it has a low end cut off. The numbers on the dial are 50-100. I think it is hertz. To get the most range of bass would I want the dial on 100 or 50, I have on it on 100 becuase I think 100hrtz has more range than 50hrtz, I may be totally off thats why I'm askin.
    But thanks again and I apreciate all of your help!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

4. Greg72

Ben,

JL's are great....I like mine more and more every day. As far as capacitors go, the simple "rule of thumb" is 1 farad for each 1000 Watts of power. So your idea of a 1/2 farad cap would be good up to a total system power of 500 Watts....some guys use the cap just for the sub amp if money is tight and you have a couple amps in the system. The cap WILL give you a very noticeable improvement in the "attack" of bass drums. It will help to more accurately control the speaker movement and give a nice "crispness" to the bass and help control the "droning bass" that you sometimes hear when there isn't enough juice to control the speakers.

The knob on your amp is probably a "high pass" crossover.....I guess it could be a low-pass.....but with a range of 50-100 it seems like you are setting the point where the subs should roll-off so that the mids and tweets can pick up the rest. I'd set it at around 80Hz. Try it at 100Hz and see if you can tell that the bass is coming from the subs.....then start backing it down until the subs blend in with the other speakers.....I'm guessing 80Hz will do it. That's been my own experience.

Later,

-Greg72

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Yea that knob is DEFINITLY a low pass knob, I have both high and low pass knobs. I'll do what you say for tuning it. I think I may add a cap soon and it will only be a half farad becuase I'll only need it for the sub amp. Thanks again and I'll keep you informed on how it goes.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. Greg72

Ben,

Yes, you're right LOW-PASS....that'll teach me to try to answer questions after I've started drinking my evening cocktails!! [​IMG]

Low Pass = Passes only low frequency information BELOW the selected value
    Band Pass = Passes frequencies BETWEEN the lower and upper values selected (typically for midrange speakers)
    High Pass = Passes only the frequencies ABOVE the selected values

Maybe that's clearer...? [​IMG]

-Greg72

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks greg, I'll fool around with it later and tell ya what I come up with, thanks again.
    Ben