Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thank's again Pete for welding my steering box brace in.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jun 20, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank\'s again Pete for welding my steering box brace in.

Thank's again Pete (pcorssmit) for staying up to 2AM this morning welding in my steering box brace, that was way cool.
    It was hard getting up a few hours latter and going to work, watching you weld sure wore me out. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Thank\'s again Pete for welding my steering box brace in.

steve,
    what happened to your steering box. was it breaking off?
    just curious?
    sergio

3. CK5

Cracked the frame by the steering box, I even run the ORD steering brace on the back side, shouldn't have any problems now.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

i hate it when i miss posts too man. Flip back a page or two and find his post about " More Carange from Moab" I think thats how it was phrased. Being out of the loop sux.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, Im welding on my repair kit and installing the brace this coming Sunday. I talked to S.Watson and he said it came with all the details. But was there anything you guys ran into in the weld up that migt help me out?
    Pete, any hints with the welding? I have a welder coming over to show me the ropes. But I aint never used a welder.
    Its a Mig, wire fed with an argone tank, I guess. I have heard lots of dos and donts as far as how much voltage and wire feed rate when welding up side dont and what not. Any tips will help.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you never welded before this prolly isn't the job to learn on...

Ask yer welding buddy to 'show' you...you know so next time you can do it yourself.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. CK5

Pete can awnser the welder questions, as far as the install instructions are concerned there OK, after the frame cracks were fixed we installed the steering box (bolted it up) with the side brace so the holes could be matched up then tack welded a few spots to keep in place and then removed the box again. Use c-clamps to press the brace close to the frame as these weld in units are not perfect then weld in and repeat for the lower brace grinding a little to get a good fit , then clamp and weld.
    I did take pics and a review is coming.
    I drank a few beers while Pete did all the work, I think that really helped. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep, Rene. I wasn't planning on learning on MY frame. [​IMG]
    But I was hoping that I could just get everything ready so when he got here he could weld and I could watch, learn and drink beer.
    Oh, I plan on getting some scrapes from the junk yard to play with till I get comfortable.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No problem, Steve.

As Rene said, this isn't the project to learn to weld on. The best thing to do in your case is to have your buddy weld on the brace for you, and then show you how to get started with the welding. Maybe pick up a book or take a class, too.

As Steve mentioned, the side plate isn't quite an exact fit, it takes a little finessing with clamps and the grinder to make it fit right. The instructions say to just clamp it to the frame, but IMO there's a good chanch the holes won't line up properly afterwards. Steve's bolts that go through the ORD brace ended up being a tad short, I seem to remember having the same problem with mine. We were also able to avoid disconnecting the PS lines, we just took the linkage apart at the pitman arm and disconnected the rag joint, then swung the PS box up out of the way. You have to move around a couple brake lines as well, just push them out of the way. Nothing too difficult, but it time consuming.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

What kind of shops would you guys recomend calling to get this done? When I got my alignment done Les Schwab guy said I had a small crack and I had planned on doing this with my boss who does alot of welding but it sounds too involved for his skills and mine(which at this point are nonexistant) so I may just have to find somewhere to do it for me. So who would I call? Would Schwab maybe do it? Or would I have to call a welding shop or what? TIA

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You might try a local 4x4 shop. This is a common enough problem that they've probably done them before.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

12. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Thats the only problem, we don't really have any 4x4 shops. Most people get their lifts done at Les Schwab which is a tire/wheel place. So should I call some body shops that do frame straightening type stuff?

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's my delima with more detail now.
    Apparently this welder that Im inheriting is a Daytona or Dayton, whatever, Mig 220 volt and if I understadn correctly it has to be used with gas wire using the argone co2 mixture.
    I do plan on having this other guy do the welding. Heres my question, this guy was used to welding like bridge beams and [censored] like that. SO Im wondering if this dude is going to be able to use this tiny ol welder without burning the crap olla outta my frame and the brace.
    Anyhow, what is the difference between welding with non gas wire and gas wire? And how can I tell if this welder can perform the non-gas welding.

Sorry for all the questions, this is all real new to me.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Non-gas MIG welding uses a flux core wire, the concept is similar to the coating on Arc welding rods. The gas method is much better, much cleaner welds, maybe easier/stronger, too. The really low-end MIG welders are set up for flux core welding, the wire is also much more expensive. You often have to purchase the bottle and/or regulator seperatly, but then the gas isn't too expensive, I have a big bottle and it costs like $30-$35 to get it filled. Lasts a long time, would last longer if I didn't have a leak somewhere.

Pete

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, So I need to stick with the gas type .035 wire and get the bottle refilled, get all my steering stuff outta the way. Strip the area to be welded install the steering brace for alignment clamp the weld on kit down, grind it if need be and let dude stick this SOB up?
    Then I'll go to a junk yard get scraps and learn to play.

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The instructions for the weld-on brace that I've got laying in the garage, waiting to be installed, provide specific details on what type of rod to use to arc weld the brace to the frame. They list a specific rod number and such. I suppose a MIG would do a good job, but would it be better to use the exact type and method recommended?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

HAIR-E... I talked to Steve when I ordered the kit. Told him what I had and he said just to make sure I use at least .030 wire. I dont see that rod would have any benifits over ther wire long as it done correctly.
    But I aint no welder.

18. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I don't see where a MIG would have problems, as long as it was a high end machine, not the little $100 dollar 110 Volt that most people have. Stick welders just get better penetration over the average home-sized MIG.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

19. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

These kits have been around a long time. My guess is that the instructions have too. Back in the day, not very many people had mig welder at home, but they did have arc welders. The price on mig welders has come down considerably since the 70s, and they are much easier to use and more versatile, hence they are the choice nowadays. There should be no problem, so long as you use a big enough machine/wire. I run .035" most of the time, a lot of guys I know like the .030.

Pete

20. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

.030 should be efficient for this job.
    I would gind where it cracked and heat it up a little with an Oxy-Acety torch and go to town with a MIG.
    Then do the same with the weld in brace piece. The key is metal prep. Grind to nice shiny bare metal. :)
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5