Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanks and A question....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz316, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help Ive gotten so far. I fixed my brakelight problem on sunday.
    Just one question though...
    My dash is all original and I am wanting to upgrade the sound system. I purchased a prety nice digital knob radio and my plan is to add a CD changer later. Am I wating my money? Should I just hack the dash and put in a DIN CD player? The truck is all original except for the radio...It had an 8-track player in it, but it wasnt the original Chevy radio.

So, to hack or not to hack?

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air, 4in susp, 35's

2. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I'd not hack. First, cutting up the dash is something you can't undo, and second, I'd mount the CD player in the console (I did) so as to not give someone more of a reason to bust my windows...

Just my $0.02.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

3. BaylorK5

BaylorK5 Registered Member

I was hesitant about having the DIN mount CD receiver installed mainly becuase I was worried about hte aesthetic aspect of the install. It turned out great and the function of the JVC CD player is amazing. Much better than the shaft mount JVC Tape Player that was in the Blazer previously.

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I put my JVC DIN CD player in my Tuffy console. It works great, I can lock it up and I didn't have to hack my dash.

Plus, I left the stock radio in the dash to deter any thieves that my peer into my windows. Its a cheap security device I guess!

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you still have that 8-track?? Why would you want to give up that archeological treasure?? LOL.... Maybe you can get something for it on Ebay...

In my old K5, i put the head unit in the front of the console (so both wife and I could have easy access), and the changer in the console. Worked out nice, but easy to get stolen, since it wasn't real tightly mounted.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**