Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanks and need some more 14 info.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wanted to say thanks for the reply the other day. This guy with the Hearse camper found me on another board where he was having some axle problems with the 55 axle. Twisted the splines off of it. After looking at the pictures I started telling him I would scrap it. thing only had 17 splines. The monster is 8500lb! So started to share some 1 ton axle options with him. He's going for a 14 it looks like. Will be be about the same as a 55 axl would set him back and twice as strong.
    Well onto my questions (and a little more help for him) I ran across a add last night for a mid 70's 1 ton van. Whole van for $350. doesn't run. I'm interested in the axle and column (for another project). I know the 12's for a van are supose to be 3 inches wider. Does the same hold true for a 14bolt from a van?
    Thanks!
    BTW expect a call from me on Monday. hahaha Need some parts, Body bushings, 1 inch blocks, u-bolts front and rear, possibly some wheel spacers, Tranny and motor mounts in poly for my 75.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

That is correct on the 3 inches wider.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I run a "78 G30 van rear axle in my '89. Swapped the 4.56 carrier/ring gear and the whole pinion assy from a truck 14BFF and it works great. Love the look of the wider axle without the use of spacers.

thebigdaddyof2

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Haven't seen a van 14 bolt, so I'm not much help there, sounds like other guys know what's going on with it though.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Grim, I have used the van 14boltFF twice now and they are 70" WM to WM and the pads are 50 1/2" center to center.The only difference is the wider housing and longer axleshafts, everything else is the same.

RGF

6. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Rgf
    Are you sure on those measurements ? I was looking for info on the ff14 from a van but wasnt having any luck. Thanks

Its a one ton jeep thing

7. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Yes, I am very very sure!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album86>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album86</a>

RGF

8. 55CADRV

55CADRV Newbie

Hi Guys, I'm the guy with the 1955 Cadillac Hearse/Camper. I just wanted to add my thanks... Grim has been very helpful to me in trying to figure out how to fix my caddy. After his email to me telling me of the 70" width, I am all but convinced this is my solution. The track will be about 2" wider on each side, but I have room to grow in the fender wells. I will have to do some cuttiing though. I really like how the Van axle looks on the back of RGF's M1009 Blazer!
    You guys have really helped, thanks. It looks to me that you all have gone down this axle replacement road before. I may need your advice. I hope that is OK, even if I don't plan to go offroad very far with my hearse/camper.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    55CADRV
    http://home1.gte.net/res0jixw/55cadrv.htm
    some pics of the cad rearend:
    http://home1.gte.net/res0jixw/1955_cadillac_hearse_rearend.htm

9. 55CADRV

55CADRV Newbie

RGF,

When looking at the pics of your M1009 Blazer, I noticed that your rear wheels have an offset. I see that the rims don't don't completely cover the drums. Is it possible to find 8 lug rims that aren't as offset and do cover more of the drum?
    Also, do you know how wide your rig is from outside of wheel to outside of wheel?
    Thanks,

Jeff
    55CADRV

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Most rear rims don't cover the drums on 14 bolts. The reason is that the drums are soo wide,think,tall...depends on which way you look at them,LOL. The drums are liek 8"deep themselves so that would be some killer rims to try and civer them. Hope this helps, and I could be wrong,LOL.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just convert to rear discs...better braking and they look wicked.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeff, The rims on the Blazer have no special off-set, just your regular run of the mill spoke wheels(American Racing) 16.5x8 1/4" with 4 3/4" backspace.And like Willys said thats how they look on the 14bolts with the huge drums.
    I will get any measurement that you need off of my Blazer because know one around here has any problem giving advice,I will post back with them later.
    You can get spoke wheels in many different sizes and maybe you could go with a narrower rim size,not sure what you plan on running for tires.Or maybe use stock 8lug steel rims that are 16x6.5 with 4 1/4" backspace with some load E tires?

RGF

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No Problem Jeff. Glad to help. The CK5 crew here has an unbelieveable wealth of knowledge when it comes to GM trucks and modifying parts to work on them. If it has GM on it somebody here is going to know about it. Just passing on some of the information to help you with your very interesting camper.
    Hay did you guy's look at that rear axle on Jeff's Caddie. Looks like a Eaton to me. What do you guy's think it is?

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Jeff, I took some measurements on another rig I have with the same van rear in it. This one had the stock 16" steel wheels with 235/85/16 tires, these rims are 6.5 wide with 4 1/4" backspacing.
    I came up with 75 3/4" outside to outside on the tread of the tire and 68 1/2" center to center on the tread. I hope these numbers are useful, and any other ?s feel free.

Good Luck
    RGF

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hard to say Grim...I had a mid 60's Buick with a similar looking rear end though. The Buick rear end had one piece non tapered axles though. It was also a drop out third member diff and the axles were retained with retainer plates behind the drums. As far as I know the Eaton has reinforcing ribbing all over it...whereas this one looks like a bigger version of the 9" Ford.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We have a couple of dually D70's that are also 70" wide, that might be a choice for a wide axle too.
    I know you do have to be somewhat careful with overall width, i went with 16.5's so I could keep it tucked in without working the calipers over and I'm about 86" outside of sidewalls. I have a buddy with 15x12's on 3" backspace and 44" tsl's that runs about 96" outside, it's REALLY huge. I've even seen a difference on the trail between my rig and one with 15x10's and 3" backspace. It's only about 4" overall difference, but it kept me from being hung up in one place that he did get hung up. I'm pretty happy with that width overall, it has some tire outside the body, but it's not obnoxious on the road and still fits as well as a K5 can fit off road.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

17. 55CADRV

55CADRV Newbie

RGF, Thanks for taking the time to measure! The width under the inside of the 55 Cad Camper is 85" With the wheels you measured I would have near 5" of clearance between the wheel and the camper fender well. The track on the camper is 63.5" compared to your 68.5". So that moves the tire out 2.5". That would provide a little bit more stability. That Van 14 bolt is looking very attractive.

I think the 14 bolt 1 ton Van also is 57" from backing plate to backing plate, which is the same as the camper. Now I need to find one of these!

I may need make a seperate post for this, but, I was doing some research on what other vehicles have the 5 on 5" lug pattern I have on the Caddy. It turns out that some Chev 3/4 Vans have the same pattern. I know that the 3/4 ton axle is not as strong as the 1 ton, but I wonder if it would be strong enough for my application. I'll bet it would be Semi-Floater too. I have read where the 1 ton axle can handle 7,000lbs. Does anyone here know what the 3/4 ton could handle. I have seen GVRW for the 3/4 ton pickups of around 8,500lbs. Well that is how much the Cad Camper is loaded. Maybe the 3/4 ton would work?

By the way, I just got an email today on the 23rd telling me of your reply. Sorry it took me so long to reply,
    Jeff
    55CADRV

Jeff
    55CADRV

18. 55CADRV

55CADRV Newbie

Stephen, That dually D70 would just barely fit within my wheel wells. But think a dually is too narrow between the backing plates. I need something about 57" wide here, so the drums will miss my frame rails. Duals would be nice though.

Jeff
    55CADRV