Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanks for help on my "need engine" post but.............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmylake, Nov 3, 2002.

1. jimmylake

jimmylake Registered Member

Thanks for help on my \"need engine\" post but.............

I really appreciate the help, especially from the guy who told me it was definitely a 2.8 engine. Yes, I know from all the other posts that the 2.8 sucks. There were several suggestions to put in the 4.3 with some links to sites offering them for sale at about $1,500.

How about I start over? This is an 85 blazer. body isn't too bad, but it is basically a winter car. I paid $400 bucks for it and have no intention of sinking 1500 into it. I don't care if it can't get out of it's own way with the 2.8. I'm not about to go offroad or push snow with it. This is transportation. What I really care about is the rod that is banging very loud and probably about to fly out of the side of the engine.

I want to get it fixed cheap. Cheap does not mean $1500. Kelly bluebook says this blazer is worth about 1200. (assuming a engine that doesn't knock) One option is to do an engine swap from a junkyard car. For those of you in the know, is the 2.8 the only engine that will bolt right up to my existing trans? Other than a similar year blazer, what years and models of cars or trucks are likely targets for the 2.8 or anything else that will fit (and bolt to tranny)?

Anyone with an engine available or knows of one in or near west michigan, please contact me. Any advice on how to assure I'm not getting another junker that knocks would also be appreciated.

Next option is to yank the engine, turn it upside down and do a bottom end rebuild. (turn crank, oversize bearings, etc). The compression is decent and balanced and this way, I would have some assurances that it like new on the bottom end. Any thoughts on this or availability of cheap rebuild kit?

Remember guys, this is not a racer. I am past my hot rodding days. Most of you are proably young enough to be my kids but that doesn't mean some of you aren't sharp about these engines and I'd like to hear from you with your ideas on option one or option two.

thanks again

jim

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: Thanks for help on my \"need engine\" post but.............

As for a junkyard engine you should be able to find one in a s10 or gmc s15 truck or blazer from 82 to at least 91 I'm not sure after that. I had both an 82 and a 91 that started out as 2.8L engines. I'm not sure if there was any differences in bolt patterns etc through the years but there was plenty of years they were made that's for sure.

I would imagine that rebuilding the bottom would be cheaper if you are doing all the work yourself other than the machine work. The machine work shouldn't be too bad and engine kits are available at most parts stores pretty cheap.

I'd say rebuild it if you are trying to keep the cost down.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not totally 100% sure but I think the 3.1 and the 3.4 will bolt up to your transmission. I would be more likely to choose the 3.1 since it was a later version of the 2.8 engine. Now I am not sure if your year 2.8 is the first design or second design engine. The 3.1 looks exactly like the second design 2.8

4. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

If your just looking to use it as a "beater" then just do a bearing kit, it might buy you a few thousand miles, we did my buddys plow jeep and its lasted 3 seasons so far, and a rod knock quieted down.

Matt

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know if the 3.1 will but I know the 3.4 will bolt up to your transmission.
    Or you could probably find that it's just bearings and replace them and be done.