Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanks guys/gals.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

hey. first off, i want to say thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience on this board. It's helped me out understanding what my "new" ('91K5) blazer is all about, what to watch for and lots of how too's. I got her a couple of weeks ago and so far, so good. Some minor things i'm not happy with (recovered it from a neglected owner) but i plan to put her back in place. I've got a few questions that may have been answered already but after reading 1000 posts, i figured it may be easier just to ask. Has anyone used the 1 1/2 wheel spacers? Any probs? who's got a good price on them? should i just swap the rear axle? The thinner rear compared to front is getting to me. Hate to have the rear slipping back and forth into ruts made by m front. I'd like to have it track straight. Also, my steering is way too light - it's not loose and doesn't wander, it's just way too easy to turn and a little bump, and i'm correcting to stay in line. I'm sure it's fine for some, but i'd like a little more resistance. Any suggestions? btw - stock suspension, no lift. I'm putting 32x11.50 muds under her in a week. i'd post pics but i don't want to hammered by the way she looks know. Previous owner put 235x75's on to sell it. can you say embarrassing??? godda do what ya godda do i guess. Thanks again for all your help.

- Jersey

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome Aboard.
    Well all the 1/2 ton axles are the same width unless you get one from a Van. The Van axle is 3 inch wider track.
    That 10 bolt is not well liked. I would run it till it blows and then go from there. If your not planning on getting big (35 or larger tires) then a 12 bolt would be the way to go and stronger than the 10 bolt you have. Straight bolt in if you find one with the gears you wan't. If you plan on going big then go with a 14 bolt. The front axle can be converted to 8 lug by changing the hubs assembly. You can pick up both 12's and 14's all day long for around $200. The front conversion to 8 lug can be cheap or expensive depending on what's in your local junk yards. Some have converted for as little as $75 some as much as $500 for mostly new parts.
    As to the spacers. Many here run them and have had good luck with them. I will probably be on them shortly myself to cure a scrub problem I have on the wheel tubs in the back.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Welcome! One word of advice: Build it right the first time, it'll save you money in the long run. I'm running 35's on 10 bolts right now and I blew the rear end this past Sunday. Luckily I have a 14 bolt and Dana 44 waiting to go in. If you plan on going bigger, a 14 bolt is the way to go. They are cheap and easy to find. I wouldn't spend money on spacers for the 10 bolt because they are 6 lug and won't fit the 8 lug 14 bolt. A 12 bolt would be a good substitute for the rear because its also 6 lug, but Its not as strong. I bought a set of Performance Wheel spacers from Bigd, for my 14 bolt. I haven't run them yet but they look very stout and are high quality. Check out Steve's write up in the Products Review page. I haven't heard about any problems so far with the Performance Wheel spacers.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Maybe i should forget about the spacers that'll run me $130 and just go get a 12bolt/6lug out of a van. hmmm. I wont be running anything more than 33's for a while so the 12 bolt should be fine for me. Is there any special year van, model i should look/ask for..or stay away from? Is it a "simple" bolt up or do i need to re-weld spring perches or mess with a new drive shaft and stuff like that? just trying to anticipate what i'm up against. Thanks.

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I think all the van rear ends had different spring perch widths compared to Blazer/Trucks (1/2 and 3/4 ton). You will have to reweld the spring perches from a Van.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Where in NJ are you? I live in Palisades Park.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

7. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

up near Wayne, off of rt23.

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

A van 12 bolt will not work, unless you find a rare 4 wheel drive van, all 1/2 ton 2 wheel drives, vans or trucks were 5 lug axles, 6 lugs were used on 4 wheel drives only. unless you had the flanges redrilled, and used the 6 lug brakes, etc. but thats a hassle.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

9. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

thanks raisedk5. I just posted the ? (before i saw your reply) on a new subject because this conversation was so buried under the "thanks" thread i didn't think many would read and reply. Thanks again for the info, even though it's not what i wanted to hear!!! ha.

- Jersey

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I live in Dumont about 5 miles from yunit. Ever been to the trails in West Caldwell? I went in behind the body shop on Bloomfeild ave and down to the highway, then back up and out behind the old folks home. I heard there was more stuff but it was just me so I didnt want to try it. I have a 3.42 12 bolt from an 81 K10 if you need it.</font color=blue>

11. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

i actually work in fairfield about 5 minutes from west caldwell. I haven't been off-road in a while since the family is growing and wife needs help more often. Also, i haven't had a truck worthy of doing such since my 77CJ7 about 3 years ago. Now that i picked up my first K5, and reading stuff on this board, it's giving me the itch again! I have to figure out what gears i have and then maybe we can work something out with your 12bolt. Thanks. Actually just found a '79 1 ton van so i'm gonna post a message to see if i can use the rear and some parts off of the front axle to swap it out to the 8 lug. Have you had any experience with this? maybe if i get this thing trail worthy soon enough, we can hook up and figure out what the old folks are hiding behind thier place! Later.

- Jersey

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241