Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THANKS!***NEED CARNAGE PICS***and info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Jan 3, 2004.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I just picking the brains of all dedicated GM fans on this site, regardless of vintage (60's to the present). I would like to see what weak points others have found in their trucks, Blazers, etc... Some of the more notorious ones would be-- weak frame around the steering box, cracked engine crossmembers, wobbled out or torn out rear upper shock mounts, broken axle shafts.... It can be anything from engine, tranny, body, or even interior problems, the more bizarre the better. I would like pics of the carnage as well as pics of the fixes, storebought, homebrewed or otherwise. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This list might give others the headsup when starting a new project and get it right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: ***NEED CARNAGE PICS***and info

Short wheel base hurts and helps in a lot of ways.
    doors sag easy.

And probably the biggest design flaw that everyone can agree on would be the giant 5" gas gauge /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Computer controled carb setups
    ESC
    10bolts
    full time 4wd
    stock extremely tall gears for a 4x4
    blower fan always runs on 70's chevys

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

9/16 bolts in all of the suspension except the front shackles (7/16 WTF /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) Rear bed sides seam splits when twisted, 196lb test on hood springs with a 56lb hood. 16 inch dragling (again WTF) and everybody's favorite thing to hit on the trail a good old 14FF (aka unbreakable boat anchor). Just to name a few.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I hear ya on the bed seams splitting, also the dash lights never work worth a crap and the wipers have there moments.
    The move from a 12 bolt to a 10 bolt rear axle was a no-no. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. CK5

Frame cracks on the UAV taken from the frame repair article:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CK5

My old D44 shaft:

[​IMG]

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe since this has been made a sticky change the title to Chevy weak areas or something so people know what it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The plastic skid plates on pickup truck gas tanks. Rocker boxes that aren't coated internally and collect dirt. The plastic covers that attatch to the lower portion of the inner fender that rot out your body mounts. The poorly designed rear tailgate hinge design on Blazers that rots out and is very flimsy in stock form. Electric windows that fail too often. Tall axle gearing and weak 700R4 transmission combined. The 305ci and 2.8L engines. While I'm at it, the 2.8L engine paired with a 700R4 tranny /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You S10 guys know what I mean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Poorly designed side window locks on Blazers. Vent windows on the doors that never seem to seal properly. In tank fuel pumps on TBI equipped trucks, some lacking baffles /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Not having a 14 bolt and Dana 60 as an option on anything other than the K30's. Gas is too expensive. My wallet hurts from all the easy mod's and "cheap" fixes you can do to these vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    9/16 bolts in all of the suspension except the front shackles (7/16 WTF /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) Rear bed sides seam splits when twisted, 196lb test on hood springs with a 56lb hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

9/16 bolts are stupid to begin with, hard to find. Should have just gone to 5/8 and made it simpler.

On the strong ass hood springs, I feel your pain, i pinched my finger in one once. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

10 bolt gov-loc. Happened backing out of the driveway. My fix was to replace it with a 14 bolt SF, I then broke the HOUSING! on that. I replaced that with another 14 bolt SF and havent broken that yet.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Wipers, ya I forgot (welcome to Phoenix) The low setting is a tease and the high setting is just to piss you off.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I forgot about the worthless tilt columns, the mechanical clutch linkage in general, the 305, slip yoke transfer cases, the spring bushings where the bolt seizes to the sleeve, which seizes to the rubber, which seizes to the big sleeve, which seizes into the spring and makes one big disgusting mass.

I personally think the 10 bolt was a mild improvement over the 12 bolt after what happened to the pinion bearings in my 12 bolt. At least when my 10 bolt failed, I made it home.

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

note on the hood springs, I bought a brand spankin new hood and after it was installed the rotten sob folded the first time I tried to put it down thanks to the hinge springs.

rockers suck
    mounts for body bushings rot and the bushing drops through
    starter solenoid location
    front shock mount points
    rear tailpan rots
    spare tire location (inside cargo area wastes space)
    front fender design (sides boxed requiring trimming for bigger tires)

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

get the engine to TDC then pull off the distributer cap and look where the rotor button is pointing, odds are it isn't pointing at 1 or 6. Since you just assembled this engine the oil pump gear may be off a bit throwing your timing out of whack.

bleh, no idea how this post got here...was supposed to be in another thread helping a guy with a timing problem.

15. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Let's not forget that weak area in the floor where the rear front seat mounts are. I've seen more than a few posts (including mine) where the metal simply tore right behind the mounting nut. This is nothing but a design flaw. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just the kind of info I need!!! I also need pics of some fixes, let's see everyones creativity. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

465/208 adaptor 3 times

1'st time "i think" it was cause i had rubber motor mounts, and poly tranny. ended up buying a new one

broke the new one pulling the adaptor off the tranny not realizing it still had one bolt. bought a new one

3rd one "i think" it "tore" while wheeling because my whole front clip basically tore apart allowing massive frame flex.
    [​IMG]

fixed that by going doubler.

19. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

busted 465/205 adapter [​IMG] I'm working on a fix for it now.

I've also broken a gov-loc in a a 10B. My pic is similiar to the 1 above.

6.2 diesel with 3.08 and 700r4. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6.2 should have been turbocharged.

Not enough 454's put in trucks.

Saddle bag gas tanks outside the frame on pickups. Fireball /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifwaiting to happen.

Gas tanks inside cab on 67-72 trucks. Common practice then, but /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif why???

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Saddle bag gas tanks outside the frame on pickups. Fireball /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifwaiting to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think so, you should have been with me when I was broadsided at 60 MPH. Not even a drop leaked. I still use the tank today. If she hadn't hit the tire as well, she would have hit the tank directly.