Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanks to ColoradoK5 I did it myself! - and one heater question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Feb 17, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

With the support and knowledge from people on this site I figured that i should start doing my OWN repairs. Yesterday I bought a 3 1/2 ton jack, 6 ton jackstands, and some wood for support. Late last night I fought my broken engine mount for like two hours and fixen that broken SOB ( first major automobile repare ever for me) and This is only the beginning. I am stoked as hell. thanks to all!!

My next venture is my heater. I got the heater working again ( the heater hose was clogged up ) and then like 30 minutes later the fan completely stopped working. I have NO air at all now like maybe it is the blower? switch? fuses look goodAny suggetions would help. I have an 87
    thanks to all!!

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Start with the fuse first. Congrats on doing your own repairs, you will save alot of money and get the satisfaction of knowing how to do it. I would recomend you buy a book that covers your rig if you don't have one by now. They have alot of useful information in them. LOL

Happy Trails
    Wayne

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey Big Blue... Congrats! With the blower motor problem... try this first... turn the switch on to a speed and pop the hood. The blower mtr should be on the pass side of the firewall by all the AC stuff.... give a few firm taps on it w/ a hammer.... does it start or go a bit? If it does the motor is bad. If it doesn't go it is time to see if power is at the motor. For that you need a test light (A great, handy tool everyone should have... but get a good quality one... like $10 or $15... make sure it has a big clip to clip on things) also while you're there get some aligator clips and wire to make test leads. If the bang doesn't work give me an e-mail and I'd be glad to see ya through. Good Luck!

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congrats, buy a big box of knuckle band-aids. If you don't why yet you will soon![​IMG]
    I have a recurring problem with my blower motor that will need a litle more of my time to fix permanently. Check fuses first, after that check the little ground wire on the motor assembly. It usually corrodes under the screw and loses ground. I found this problem when it was semi dark and I wiggled the wire and saw sparks (the switch was on high). I would suggest some fine grade sand paper to clean off the terminal on the wire and the paint from the blower motor. Then make sure the connection is secure.
    If the ground is good and your fuse is good your fan switch may be to blame, although it'll usually take the fuse with it.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Dude that is so funny. I wacked the hell out of two of my knuckles when the wrench slipped off I am surprised that I don't see the bone so much skin came off, anyway I fell like a REAL MAN after last night playing with my tools. I will check and see what's up with y'alls advise. thanks

[​IMG]

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My theory is,if you don't bleed while workin on your truck... you weren't really workin on your truck!

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

My AC stopped working, I started messing around, and figured out the blower wasn't working. I went to advance autoparts, got a new blower motor for $20. I put it in and the AC was stronger that it has ever been. It was really easy to install.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

8. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

9. blazercrazy

blazercrazy Registered Member

Go to your local parts store and get a Haynes book on your truck. It has a good trouble shooting section. They are based on a complete tear down and rebuild of the model truck you bought it for. It also has a section on when you should perform basic maintance but keep in mind if you're going through a lot of water and mud, your bearings need to be regreased more often, etc. Start with fuses, then switches, wires and then the blower motor. You need to get an ohm meter. They are great for finding out where you are getting electricity and where your aren't. Good luck!

Make sure your truck is the muddy one! [​IMG]

10. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

hey Guys thanks for the help. I found out that there was a loose wire going into the blower. That saved me a good couple of bucks. I know if I would have brought it somewhere I would have been charged some insane amount of money. I will be replacing my radiator this weekend. thanks

[​IMG]

11. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

You may want to go ahead and flush out your cooling system.I mean, it takes alot of sludge buildup to clog a heater hose. ( Unless you are talking about one of the heater vacuum hoses).Not trying to scare you, but you should look into it. Also, if you wann try and save your knuckles buy those .99 cent brown "jersey gloves". They help out a little.Later....

P.S. Woohoo my 100th post:)

One From None

12. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

oh i am pretty sure there is hell-a-sludge in there. what is the process of flushing out the system. just disconnect all hoses and run water through. what about through the block ? this probably isn't very good. i just put some leak stopper in for the time being. my radiator is toast.

[​IMG]

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to get a flushing tee at any parts store and put it in one of your heater hoses... then you put the hose in the cap opening and let the sludge come out the T. I usually turn the hose on full and start the truck w/ the heater on and let her go for a couple minutes or until the stuff coming out is clean. Then I would pull the 2 heater hoses off (the smaller hose that go into the firewall) and flush those out both ways.I'd change the hoses and stat while the system is drained and double check for any signs of the water pump leaking (that's if this stuff hasn't been done recently). Also when you fill back up the system the Tee makes it ease to push out the water and then get any air pockets out. Good luck...

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI