Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thanksgiving Turkey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

We've always had a regular turkey roasted on the oven. This year I bought a Smoked Turkey. Still going too do it in the oven. Never has a smoked turkey before. Any opinions on smoked turkey ?? By the way, it's a Butterball.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How long do I cook a smoked turkey at what temp ??

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've NEVER cooked the turkey in the oven....every yr since I can remember( at least 30 yrs ) thanksgiving and xmas dinners have been cooked on the BBQ....nothing like BBQ'ed turkey /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

just cook it the same as the other turkeys, unless you want to try something new. But, if you're going to do it in the oven again, then there should be no difference... it's just smoked, not cooked, so it's all the same. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a smoker so I smoke my own turkeys. They are deliciious. When they come out of the smoker they are fully cooked. If yours has been smoked that way( I'm pretty sure Butterballs are). All you should have to do is heat up and searve.Cuts the cooking time way down.
    Smoking or BBQ is the best way to cook Turkey. Comes out juicy and very tasty.
    Oh no! Now I am getting hungry.I have 2 turkeys and some ducks in the freezer. And a bunch of apple wood for the smoker. Cant wait for Thanksgiving

6. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I've always been a big fan of frying turkeys for thanksgiving. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a smoker so I smoke my own turkeys. They are deliciious. When they come out of the smoker they are fully cooked. If yours has been smoked that way( I'm pretty sure Butterballs are). All you should have to do is heat up and searve.Cuts the cooking time way down.
    Smoking or BBQ is the best way to cook Turkey. Comes out juicy and very tasty.
    Oh no! Now I am getting hungry.I have 2 turkeys and some ducks in the freezer. And a bunch of apple wood for the smoker. Cant wait for Thanksgiving

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Fried is good but if you've never had smoked turkey, it is excellent. I smoke one every year also over mesquite(personal taste). I also stuff the bird and then smoke it and the stuffing is so f'n good. If you stuff it
    though, just make sure you maintain safe temps in smoker to avoid germs!

jakeslim

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. Gotta admit. Deep fried turkey is a real taste treat too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I smoke my own turkey, been doing it for about 4 years now. When I first started, it was kinda "expermental"- so I made one traditional, and one "test subject"-. All the test subjects have been GREAT, so this year, Im doing it smoked only.

Smoking is relatively simple, I do it for about 12-20 hours, of course the turkey is pre-marinated for 2 days. I just use charcoal, and wood chunks. Maple wood seems good for turkey, though if you want a bit of a spicy flavor, use some hichory.

Depending on outside temp, I've had turkey smoke for up to 2 days. its DELISH. Usually the smoked turkey just DISAPPEARS off the table, and the baked is secondary. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

terduckin TERDUCKIN!!!!!!!!

try this stuff a small duck in a mid chickin and stuff it in a big terkey, use one of then bake-in (plastic) bags and coof for( i am not sure) 30 hours hummmmm sounds good want to do it one day

11. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

if you bought it then it should have cooking directions....but i had a smoker (wore it out!) and have done turkeys and whole chickens..mmm mmmmmmm....i want to get a new smoker now talking about it.....

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thanksgiving week is oficially here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The smoker is all fired up and hot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Got 15 lbs of deer jerky in this mornin. Got 10 lbs of trout soaking in brine for the next load followed by Ducks and Turkey
    My brother in law is smoking a ham.
    Gonna be a good feast this year.
    Droooool.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey any of you guys afraid of CWD out there?

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i tried that two christmases ago,MMM MMM a thousand times better than the oven. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif