Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

that annoying electrical noise coming through the speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by shoeless, Mar 31, 2002.

1. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

ok, i have my bro's old thunderchicken and I'm trying to correct a few things on it so that I can sell it. it has been doing that noise for a quite some time, don't know exactly when it started. It varys with rpm, so I'm thinking alternator wiring maybe or grounds, but not certain. it's a '91 thunderbird with a completely stock stereo. if I sell it then I've got some more money for other projects.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Ask Greg72... There was a post about this about a week ago or so. Has something to do with the ground or wiring on the alternator.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

More then likely it is coming from the alternator and it is due to a poor ground. Check the ground on the alternator first and then make sure all the audio equipment has a "good" ground. Some amps need to have there cases isolated from a ground which means that you need an insulator such as rubber between the mounting screws and the amp. You can also try an inline noise filter on the rcas or the power wire of the headunit itself. More then likely most of the time the problem is in a bad ground. A headunit will function of the ground on the antenna even without a seperate ground so people do not ground the headunit itself which causes problems.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Shoeless,

The fact that it is all "Stock" should make it easier.....it originally didn't have "alternator whine" and now it does, so the trick will be finding the source of the ground loop that causes that noise.

Start at the battery....remove the connectors on both terminals and clean them...then move down the "negative side" of the electrical system. The ground strap might be one of those "braided straps" that are famous for getting corroded and rusty. Remove the strap and clean the ends and clean the frame area where it is bolted. (Make sure you have a nice shiny metal spot).

Those steps will probably help a lot. After that, you'll need to look for the grounds from the actual stereo. It's probably a "ring connector" that comes off the deck and screws into the metal on the dashboard or firewall area.....once again, clean up the connectors and make sure there is shiny metal so you have a good ground.

[rant mode on]

I really HATE the use of in-line filters! They are used to band-aid systems that have other grounding problems, and are usually of such poor quality that they hurt the sound of the system. In this case, the stereo ran fine for years without one.....there is no reason why it should need one now. It will take LESS time to clean up the grounds, than it will to cut up the wiring and splice in a "cheesy line filter"....and the next owner will appreciate not seeing a "rats nest" of wiring under the dash too! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

[/rant mode off]

Sorry.....my coffee hasn't calmed me down yet! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ummm, Hey greg, I was thinking about using one of these in-line filters on my stereo. Was wondering what you thought. Dont hold back, give me your honest opinion...../forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah.....OOOOPS..!

Not enough coffee before I wrote that.....my opinion hasn't changed, but I might have written it a little "softer".....

Well at least you know where I stand on those filters!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Sounds likes some good advice. I finally have a day off tomorrow, so I'm going to go through it then. I appreciate the advice