Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That Cop was mean to me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbluesuburban, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Nah... not really.

(If you really want to read what I posted... there is a quote later on in this thread... I am deleting the original)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ahh...mabey a stupid question, but why you driving around with multiple loaded weapons in your truck?

Last I checked, that was against the law (save for concealed weapons permit if your state has those, but that over covers 1), and generally considered not so bright, especially by law enforcement.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hope that they don't check my Burb then...

4. bigbluesuburban

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I think we recently went over how ****ing stupid it is to not tell the officer pulling you over that you have loaded firearms in the vehicle...

6. 73k5blazer

See..ok...well, I don't want to derail another thread into being locked up, so it's my intention to have a civilized discussion about this. :deal:

No, I havn't seen Red Dawn. But, prepared? Prepared for what? I'm a gun owner and I like my guns and believe it's my right to have my guns.

But I think having multiple *loaded* weapons in a car, just gives the rest of us gun owners a bad rap. There's no good reason to be driving around with several loaded weapons, unless your deployed in a war zone. Our state has a concealed weapons permit, and that's fine, I don't have one, I don't feel I've any need for one, if I was still serviing legal papers in Detroit, I'd probably have one. In our state though, it only covers 1 weapon. That's it.

But what possible reason is there to drive around with loaded weapons? Or have one in chruch? I unload my hunting rifle at the end of the day's hunt before transporting it, because it's the law for one, and because it's just the smart thing to do.
    I believe it gives all those gun-haters out there fuel for their cause. Just my $0.02

And yes it's stupid to tell the officer, but the really stupid part, IMHO, is having them in your car illegally loaded the first place! It's not nessesary, and downright dangerous.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Definitely depends on the state. Colorado state law allows to even carry concealed WITHIN your car without a permit (except for City and County of Denver), provided you do not leave the car with it.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Every instructor I had in my CCW class (including a local Police Chief and several officers and an attorney) said that you SHOULD NOT inform an officer you are carrying unless asked to step out of the vehicle (to clarify; that means do not volunteer the info, obviously you don't lie if they ask you).

I do carry a loaded pistol in the truck occasionally if I am going to the ghetto to check out a property or something but if I happen to have more than one gun in the car (which would usually only be on the way to the range or maybe camping) those other guns still remain unloaded.

Edit: I too see no reason to carry in church BTW.

9. 73k5blazer

Well, if the law allows. But, Does it cover multiple loaded weapons,or even loaded?
    Even if the law allows, I still see no reason to be driving around with loaded guns. Stop at the convience store, somebody could see them and take 'em, accident they could go off or be all over the freeway for some illegal to pickup. Just no good reason, IMHO.

We can have weapons in the car, but they must not be loaded, and they need to be as far from the occupants as the vehicle allows. A regular cab pickup, it's allowed to be behind the seat. Burb, would have to way be in back, car in the trunk...etc..

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

being nice pays off most of the time.:D some people just won't have it though.and if they get grim with me i do it back. i work with alot of customers and i NEVER let my personal problems change the way i treat them.all my customers like me. the only time i was sorta an ass at first was 19 years ago. i ordered pizza and went to pick it up. i am so hungry i'm shakey,and i get bent a little easy.i get to the pizza place and the guy says i never ordered it.:angry1: so i try to reason with him hoping he could make one fast for me. no dice.so now i'm realy hungry from smelling the pizzas i can't get and jump in my truck and smoke the tires leaving the parking lot.a mile down the road i hear a bang and the truck is making all kinds of crazy sounds.so make an illegal left across a divided highway to get the truck off the street in case it dies.as i pull into the gas station here comes Buford Pusser.:rolleyes: he gets outta his car yelling at me??i get outta my truck and pop the hood to see my engine is on its side!!:yikes: so i climb in there and start kicking it back. the whole time he is screaming at me like i'm an animal.:haha: i finnaly yelled" write the damn ticket and get the **** outta my face,can't you see why i did the illeagal turn???"he grumbled and drove off. no ticket.:laugh: :laugh:

11. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gun issue aside, i've been let off with a warning before only because I was nice to the officer. They almost have to take a business only attitude in the beginning but if you treat them like a friend they usually lighten up. Now if Bubba pulls you over..... good luck. Better have some ready and willing goats to have any shot there.:D

A few months ago I was riding to Wally world with a buddy. The cop pulled him over and went through the paces. The entire time, my friend almost seemed to make a point to show the cop how pissed off he was about getting pulled over. He got all the tickets the cop could write him.

12. 73k5blazer

Well, if I had a CCW CWP whatever, I certainly wouldn't volunteer the information that I had it.

"Can I see your license registration please?"
    "Yes, BTW, I have a loaded weapon in the car"

That's stupid.

But if they ask, I would most definly tell them, because if they do find it, your screwed. There's only 1 reason to lie about having loaded weapons in your vehicle.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Well I think I clarified in my second post but just to make sure, I see no problem with having "A" (one) loaded gun in the car, and I do occasionally excercise that right. But as I said, multiple loaded guns are not too smart and kind of pointless.

And form what you described MI has a "three step" rule for guns in cars (means you'd have to take three distinct seperate actions to make it useable)as do many states, that's how it used to be here but they changed the law a couple of years ago.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, that's all I was saying, don't volunteer the info.

And for the record, I haven't had a traffic ticket in probably 15 years or so. I make it a practice to be as polite and professional to an officer as I would like him to be to me and it usually works out fine for me.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can carry a loaded arsenal down here legally. You can actually, legally carry them just about anywhere as long as they are not concealed. I can't count the times on the way hunting I have walked into a store or food place with a pistol on my belt.

As far as having them loaded, my pistol is always loaded. If there are other guns around, they are probably not, but are treated as if they are.

I also warn cops (very few times it has been necessary) before I reach into a vehicle where there is a gun. I have told more than one that I would rather they just grabbed the registration themselves. None has ever seemed too concerned.

As to attitude, I believe that just like everyone, cops react better to a good attitude. It never ceases to amaze me that people will argue with a cop like there is no tomorrow when they were generally stopped for something that they did.

16. bigbluesuburban

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

jesus h. freaking christ... how many times do you people have to be told.

Bubba = sheep

fumes = goats

:screwy: :haha:

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't know what state you're in but the officer DOES NOT know you have a CCW here and from what I understand only State Troopers can even call in a request for that database info and must have cause (as in already found your gun and trying to confirm you are carrying legally).

You responded to my thread but I assume not all of your response was directed at me as I did not imply you were giving gun owners a bad name and I merely said that I would not choose to carry in church.

However I will say that your cavalier view of carrying illegally being like riding without a belt is pure BS, you are in fact jeapordizing the rights of others in your state to legally carry.

19. 73k5blazer

I don't have a problem with 1 loaded weapon if you have the CCW for it. Like I said, if I was still serviing legal papers in Detroit, I would have one myself. I've no problem with people carrying if they have the permit.

But no CCW, no weapon, in my book. Get the permit, then carry. :deal:

Multiple loaded weapons, well, yes, we disagree. I believe it does give other gun owners a bad rap. Had you gotten caught with said loaded weapons and the media pickup up on it, which they probably would have, that looks really really bad and DOES give gun haters fuel for their cause. And also, like gjk5 says, the fact that you currently carry illegally, also, gives other gun owners a bad rap, if you get caught with it.

But why multiple loaded guns again? What's the need there? Seriously, I'm not trying to badger you, but just wanna know why you think you need multiple loaded weapons in your truck?

20. bigbluesuburban