Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That one damn bolt!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer_Boy, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

How many have taken a 4.3 TBI motor out of a 4 wheel drive S-10. That is NOT fun! I especially liked the middle bellhousing bolt on the driver's side. I get my blazer sprayed for doing this swap, which is good because the Blazer has been sitting since May. Anyone else have any notorious bolts that they've ran into before?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I remember reading in a Chilton's that it was tight in that area and lifting the body partially was the easiest way to get those. I had an 89 S-10 Blazer...thank God I never got around to having to pull the motor.

Rene

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

While I was in the Army I was doing a tune up on a buddy's Bronco II. It had the small V-6...Can't remember which one it was specifically. Cap and roator were easy. Then I got to the spark plugs. The ones on the drivers side.....Piece of cake, 5 minutes for those 3. The first 2 on the passengers side...No sweat, 4 minutes. Then I tried the one next to the firewall on the passenger side. An hour later, I was done with the bastard. Had to lay on the ground, stick my hand up in the wheel well using a ratchet with about 3 different extensions and TWO universal joints. Everytime I look at a frickin Bronco II I get nauseous.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

The best thing is... I can't think of a particular bolt that has harassed me on the K5! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Even after tearing this thing limb from limb, the 1 ton conversion, the auto to manual (almost done) conversion, body mounts & lift, etc etc etc.... nothing ever was bad enough to permenantly scar my memory! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Except for that damn 465 output shaft bearing maybe.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

One car that did was a buds 88 Pontiac GTA Trans Am. #8 spark plug... that SOB must have been designed by the same moron who built the Bunco II. Having long since blocked this from my memory /forums/images/icons/wink.gif, I can't remember the details, but I swear I had to break my arm in two places before I could ram it in there (from under the car too!) and get close enough to turn it out one 1/4 turn at a time! That sucked.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I did a tune up on my cousins car once, early 90's Olds front drive with a Buick V6. She asked me about a year later if I could do another for her. I had to tell her I was to busy. Hell I still had the three spark plugs for the head against the firewall. Never could get my hand in there nevermind with a ratchet.