Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That snorkel made famous in Potosi

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Jun 18, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

No offense, but that really isnt servin much as a snorkel. the mud and water that i go through would just see that as an easy way in. it would be really neat if u put the pvc pipe up the passenger side post .

NITRO

NITRO

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

He didn't have it hooked up, either that or he ran it underground first.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You should have shown some pics of the thing under water and still runnin or was that to much to ask? Just curious.

Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. OFFRDK5

Neil wouldn't let me go any deeper. He turned white a sheet when he saw the nose dip. He thought it wise that I not go any deeper and I listened to him cuz he got many more years of mud under his belt!
    I will try it out sometime...just have to find the right place and the right time...Hey Neil..how about sundown in Potosi at Nick's Lake?

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im goin to the badlands ORV park this weekend and ill get some pics for ya. ill even run an open element in hood deep water and show ya'll what K5's can really do

NITRO

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Come on ... just drive it in the puddle! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

You could take some GREAT pictures /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and the snorkle will probably work great!! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif Just make sure you hook a cable up before you get in too deep! It lots easier hooking it up above water. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. OFFRDK5

Good idea about hooking the cable up before....it would save me another swim to shore!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well the deal is....

Midwest Spring K5 Thing 2002 - Potosi. Nick buried his K5 in a water pit which hydro-locked the motor. He (and others) pulled the glow plugs and hand cranked the motor until it would turn freely. He then used the starter - Geyser effect. Then after I cleaned out my pants, we were off for more fun wheeling.

Now, the reason I was cleaning my pants is - When I host an event, I feel somewhat responsible for the drivers and their rigs. They do sign a waiver, but I still feel responsible. Anyway, Nick solved the problem with his Snorkel. You have to give a guy a hand for solving a problem! I think he learned a few things that Friday evening - The K5 IS Stoppable, and secondly water and motor don't mix. Check the trips page for the full report.

Trips Page

Now, the photos he shows in action are the Fall Run 2001. Nick started into that pool and I stopped him. His fan was hitting water and the first thing that goes wrong when this happens is the fan blades are forced into the radiator. Didnt want to chance having us stuck on a trail at night looking for a Radiator. He had a long drive home and Im sure his Diesel appreciated having a cooling system.

"Thats all I got to say about that"

10. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

Great idea and construction. Now for the BUT. Relocate where the snorkel is coming out. I go mudden a lot. My wife would say to much. Some of the tank traps that have swallowed me alive would of snapped that thing off in a second. Not to mention when I rock craw I sometime hit the front of the grill. I would just hate for you to get into a big bowl of soup (Past your hood) try to rock yourself out and have the weight and force of the water and break the PVC tube. Not to mention it looks like you truck is smoking a pipe. LOL

11. OFFRDK5

Well...it is a Diesel!! Smokes one way or the other!!
    Yes..I thought about the rock crawling issue and the closeness of the snorkel to large objects and I am thinking of a way to modify it for other things. Right now its prevention from Hydrolock.

12. OFFRDK5

Neil....you had to clean out your pants...mine needed drained!!!

Neil has taken on alot of responsibility when he does these runs and I commend him for his bravery on them. He is mostly the trail lead and takes the brunt of the "injuries". He has taken the time to go out to all these places we go wheeling and decipher what we can and can't do and arrange for us to be there. He has to arrange for sponsors and weather plans.
    Thanks Neil!!