Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That was close...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Dec 20, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

..the house almost burnt down.
    im sitting in the living room watching TV at about 9pm when i smell something burning, my dad comes in and says the same thing. it was strong, we start looking around and my dad goes in the basement and the furnace kicks on and a big fire ball comes rolling out of the top. my sister hits the thermostat to shut the furnace off and my dad shuts the gas line off.

luckly we have been working on replaceing the furnace for a month or so (moving it to a different spot in the basement for more room) so we start to finish that and call a few guys to see if they can help.
    well one of the guys starts tearing into the furnace and it was an electrical fire. luckly we cought it very soon and it jsut burnt the coating off and melted some plastic.

this furnace is 35+ years old and about a 60% eficient. the new furnace is a 93% efficient and alot smaller.

we got alot done in 6 hours, just need to finish running the pletinum and hook it up to the exsisting pipe, run the electrical and the gas line.

im just glad it didn't wait a few hours and catch fire while we were sleeping.

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I'm glad you guys caught it too. would hate to come on here later and see that one of our members had lost a house.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WHOA,TJ! that coulda sucked.smoke inhalation kills people WAY before the fire ever gets e'm.i'm glad you guys were awake.and great thinking on you and your families part for not panicking ,and just handling the situation. sweet

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

last week we had a house go up. and i mean go up. the gas line had a leak in the house. needless to say all 5 in the house at 5:00am are still alive by the grace of the big man up there. it took the house and made tooth pics of it. nothing left at all. it took a 2x4 and threw it threw a cider block basement wall like nothing. even moved the same house on foundation by 2 feet . you could hear the boom from up to 5 miles away.http://www.star-gazette.com/apps/pb...1217/NEWS01/512170326&SearchID=73230069979205

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

thank god you cought that in time, that scary stuff.

6. big83chevy4x4

there wasn't much smoke up stairs untill we put the fire out and it came up the stairway. then it looked like someone burn dinner.
    we didn't panic about the fire, but my dad was panicing about getting the new furnace getting done. the first thing he did was grab the sawzall and stick a blade in it and cut the exhaust off the old furnace. he was so paniced that he didn't have it in all the way and as soon as he started cutting it, the blade flew back and almost hit him in the head. i also finely got an excuse to guy a new grinder (my HF crapped out last week after over a year of abuse) so i ended up buying a black and decker, its sooo much better than the HF. i just hope no one got me one for xmas, lol

we did finely get it done though at midnight. got most of the rooms heat hooked up again. we need some more duct to finish the 2 rooms left, so we just capped it off and run it. it is finely warm in here. last night was cold, we had the oven open with fans everywhere to heat the house. i had to sleep in the living room on the floor because my room is so far from the oven.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

glad to hear you have heat now.:D is there any damage to turn into the ins. company?

8. big83chevy4x4

nope, the only damage was to the old furnace itself. and that is just the wires that are melted, we cought it soon.