Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That was smart!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Oct 11, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I had a near death experience yesterday while off roading, here's the story.
    I was offroading before cross country practice and I saw that everyone was there for practice so my freind and I start headin back on this dirt road. Well I ask my friend if I should get a slide goin around the corner and he was like yeah sure. So I get slidin, but i forgot the back end of my K5 was lighter without the top on. Well my truck starts to get away from me and theres this rut ditch thingy in front of me and i have to way to steer my truck without spinning. So I ended up hitting a ditch while sliding sideways at about 30MPH. I pulled a tire off the ground, didnt have my seat belt on, had the top off, broke 3 rear wheels studs and busted the tire of the bead. Needless to say I'm not going to do that again.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

seems like i always get in the most trouble when i listen to my friends /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Dude... tell me how it is that you manage to totally **** up your truck something like 3 times a month? And its always happening while you are dicking around... MAYBE its time to stop dicking around? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yeap i lisined to my friend and i went off-roading at a swim and raquet club at 11:30 at night and i drove off a 3 foot drop off, only dented my exaust pipe thank god and scrached my x-member on the rail road ties i didnt see, i managed to get out of there in 1 peice thank god. god that was stupid off-roading at a swim and raquet club there was alot said about that for a while.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I had a similar experience right after I installed the 1-ton gear and the 38's with the sway bar disconnected out on a muddy field. My "Co-Pilot" asked about doing a few donuts and I agreed, even with the top on. Everything was going well untill the mud started to build up on the sidewalls and started to drag. Nearly flopped over and rolled, 2 wheel salute. Top off and sway bar connected... It does some mean donuts though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yes, I agree, it is time to stop dickin around. My truck is to nice to be screwin up. I geuss thats why I need a that detroit in the back, keep me from driving like an ass.
    Here's the studs, I think i stretched em so bad that they broke when i went to break em loose to get my tire and wheel off.
    [​IMG]

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    god that was stupid off-roading at a swim and raquet club there was alot said about that for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Yes there was, and yet you STILL keep bringing it up! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

did that in an old Datsun 2wd pickup. Was fish tailing around a corner and stid sideways into a ditch and pit iton it's side. Tried to open the door and got knocked on the head 4 times before a buddy held it open for me to get out. Oh, the good ol' days /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

god that was stupid off-roading at a swim and raquet club there was alot said about that for a while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes there was, and yet you STILL keep bringing it up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaggy I think another dose of the "dear god make it stop" picture is in order. LOL

ZCARCZAR I am glad you are okay. Those ditches need to stop jumping out in front of people like that. With the kind of luck you have been having though I think you should wear your seatbelt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

damn you got a nice truck!! wish mine was like that mine is a total rust bucket!

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Your story reminded me of when a buddy and me went out "off roading" on the golf course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I had an '80 K10 at that time and it was in the middle of winter, with some snow just about everywhere.

We got onto the course and started driving just about everywhere. Was driving down the fairways and even got up on top of the greens. It was cold enough the snow had packed down a little bit to where damage to the greens was not possible.

Anyways, we proceeded on doing our "round of off-road golf" going from hole to hole, etc. until we got to the #5 hole. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We were getting closer to the #5 green and right before we hit it, the front end goes down very quickly and back up, too. A hard jump that made my buddy's head hit the windshield and break it, too. I had hitten the steering wheel with my chest. We coasted to the top of the green and checked to make sure we were ok. We stopped to think about what we just did and remembered that there was a sandtrap right in front of the green. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Everything checked out ok, except for the broken windshield. So we decided to hightail it out of there and get back to town. So, we wanted to try the little "valley" on the side of the #5 green and went down it.

While going down the "valley", we came to an abrupt halt. The truck would not go forward anymore. I tried reverse and nothing. Realized we were stuck in a big snow drift at the bottom of this "valley." /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So I get out and have my buddy get behind the wheel. I started to shovel the snow from the tires by hand, seemingly forever. The damn truck would still not move. I shoveled some more, under the axles, too, and by god, it was getting colder and colder since we had no heavy jackets or gloves. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Finally, after shoveling barehanded for about an hour and half, we finally break free and get out of the "valley." /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And this time we took the higher grounds to get back out of the course.

It was amazing during this whole ordeal. We waited and waited for anybody to show up, especially the cops, because of how loud the truck was, and was waiting for the "freeze, you are under arrest." But it never came. Not one person bothered us nor any cars either.

All thru that week, we drive by the course and looked out to see the "valley" from the road and also see the tracks we left where we were stuck. Pretty funny memories if you ask me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Got Cage? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

nope dont got cage, almost put one in june though

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

. I geuss thats why I need a that detroit in the back, keep me from driving like an ass.

[/ QUOTE ] you must have no idea how much easier doing donuts is with a locker. given any kind of not-so-perfect conditons and you can do 'em on pavemwnt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 87sm465np208

lol, k30guy, i like that story, i really do because YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. its a good feeling when you got away with it, with little damage and no fines /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, just some good ol' boys maken noise, but i dont think i will be going back to that pool club anytime soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

j\k shag

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

and that stupid guy on this fourem , shaggy is just a dumb ass who dosnt know what risky fun is all about

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I think you should check yourself there, boy. I can't say I'm a big fan of namecalling. Risking a rollover or breakage isn't enough for you? You also have to risk making the entire 4x4 community bad by tearing up private property in your Mickey Mouse maintained truck? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif</font color>

17. 87sm465np208

im just trying to stick up for myself, and i wrote a J\K on the bottom of the page DIRECTED AT YOU, you screw with me, so why cant i fool around with you when you do it to me, im just a kid still, and its my truck, and you dont know how well i maintain it, just because i dont tell everyone how much i love it dosnt mean that my machaic is mikymouse. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Alright children......remember the rules! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif