Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That's it, I fold. Need tuning tips for a complete moron.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

That\'s it, I fold. Need tuning tips for a complete moron.

Try as I might, I just can't wrap my little brain around tuning procedures. Nothing I do seems right. [censored], you'd think engineering student like myself could grasp it, but no... I've asked many times for tuning help, and appreciate every answer, but I've reached my wits end. I need some tips that even a small child would understand for setting my timing and carburator. And if those tips could be done without a timing light or vacuum gauge (I'm poor right now...) all the better. I seem to set things alright, but they never seem to stay that way for long...
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I have a crate 350, Edelbrock intake (3701) and carb (1406), and 700R4 in a '85 Jimmy that used to have a 305, everything else is stock.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Re: That\'s it, I fold. Need tuning tips for a complete moron.

When it comes to timing I just kinda go by ear, not proud of it but......... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

1406 edelbrock
    This thread is going on today, it already has plenty of info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Timing and carb tuning is something I leave to someone who actually knows how to do that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's my thread as well and helped me pretty good. But I figured anouther couldn't hurt. Since now I need timing help too.

6. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I've thought of that, but I don't really know anybody who'd do it, and I don't have much money to throw around at the moment.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Man I saw a thread today and yesterday about timing by ear, I just can't seem to find it. Anyway just turn the distributor counter clock wise untill it pings when you gun it then turn it back a cinch then turn it off and try and start it. If it turns hard and slow then give it one more notch back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hope that helps.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rent or borrow a timing light. It's the only way to get your timing right.

Fix whatever vacuum leak you have and follow the directions that come with your carb and you should have no carb problems.

90% of "carb problems" are really ignition related anyway. Tune your truck up and set the timing and it'll be fine.

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Would you like for me to bring over my timing lite and vacuume gauge?

Eric

10. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

it may be computer related, if you can, get the elimination plug that goes in the distributer so you don't need the computer anymore, that might be messin you up cause you said it was a 305, so if theres any sensors it thinks its a 305 running rich and trying to correct when really its just a 350

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen so many engines set with a timing light that ran like crap. The "books says it should be 'X'"...except the book doesn't allow for engine wear, minor mods etc etc. Advance it til it pings under load and then back it off a hair until it doesn't ping. Now you have found the sweet spot. At this point if you put a timing light on it you'll be able to know exactly where your motor likes to run...whether it's 8 BTDC or 14 BTDC.

Find Edelbrock's website and look for their carb tuning area. It's not that hard to do...but get the timing set first. Make sure the plugs are gapped correctly too.

Check the mechanical advance...they get sticky which really affects performance.

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey TrustyK5, where is the post I read your reply in on timing? I was trying to locate it for him and I remembered it was yours and I looked at the posts you had in the past 2 days but I couldn't find it so I told him the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I do the same thing as you, but you have to have somewhere to start. As far as timing, I start at 8* on a modified motor. I have my distributor curved differently too. If it's stock though, the book is the way to go usually (unless its an emissions distributor).

I have set them by ear too, but I prefer to use the timing light to get a point to start and work from there.

14. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Got the tools taken care of, my Dad knows a guy with some nice stuff he'd be willing to lend. Dicked with the distributor tonight and got it pretty smooth at idle. I'll play with it some more in the morning now that I sorta know what I'm doing.

Where can I get an elimination plug? I kinda figured from the start the computer, however primitive, would give me trouble. Esp, since I've pluged some vac lines that don't go anywhere now.

15. tRustyK5

What computer?? It is an 85 with a carb right? If you're talking about the ESC I got rid of mine and ran an older HEI...never looked back.

Rene

16. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Two wire plug at the front of the old Q-Jet, and a funny little heat sinked box bolted to the steering column. Pretty sure it's computer controlled, but I have been wrong before and I have the grades to prove it.

17. tRustyK5

Must be that feedback Q-jet. You have my sympathy...

Rene

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yep in the early 80's GM was using us as guinea pigs, trying their electronics on carburators. ESC and Q jet feed back was one that I still have on my Olds cutlass.
    It works OK, but I whish I didn't have to smogg it so I can rip it all out.

19. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Run your timing up till it pings like what was said earlier and back it back down till it just barely pings under EXTREME stress or load. that will fix that as far as your carb get rid of the q-junk and get you a holley. you can never keep a computer controlled q-jet set once the settings go bad or its rebuilt. its usless dont waste your time. you can actually get rid of your computer all together if you can get a dist out of a 79 or below truck. anyway good luck.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't have to worry about that plug on the carb, matter of fact, you should be able to disconnect it and nothing bad should happen. (at least you can try, can't hurt temporarily)

That is only half of a CCC carb (ECM controlled) if it only has one plug total (on the passenger side top front, right?) it will be run off of engine temp, via (at least partially) the switches on the thermostat neck. There is no ECM for that application from what I can tell.

My 85/86 parts manual references all three of the Q-jets as possibilities: "normal" no electronics except the choke, the temp controlled Q-jet, and the full on ECM controlled CCC Q-jet. You need TPS and O2 for CCC, and I'm betting your truck has neither of those. O2 would be a 1 wire sensor in the passenger side exhaust manifold right near where it hooks up to the exhaust pipe, and the TPS would be a 3 prong connector sticking out of the front drivers side of the carb, angled slightly down.