Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That's it!! The K30 is finally dead......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Nov 10, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That\'s it!! The K30 is finally dead......

.....for now, that is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Got to changing new plugs and wires today, for the ump-teenth time (foking BBC's and headers! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and went to fire up the bastid only to get a very serious grinding noise. Turned to key in hopes of getting it to fire but the grinding kept going.
    I've had this grinding noise before, but not this loud or bad tonight. Was the starter grinding. This starter is number 6 or 7 in the 7 1/2 years I've owned the truck and tonight it finally took another crap on me. But then.......

.......after realizing the grinding was so loud and serious, I removed the flywheel cover and VOILA! The flexplate teeth are all gone!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Turning the motor over caused the starter and teeth to grind so badly, its beyond FUBAR now.

So, now the truck sits beside the garage, in peace, and will stay there to hibernate thru winter. Tomorrow I go to the insurance company to cancel the insurance. Its finally staying off the streets and probably won't get fixed until its time to restore the whole truck.

And no, I don't have the time or place to replace the flexplate either. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And also, NO, I'M NOT PARTING IT OUT TO SELL ANYONE THE D60 OR 14FF EITHER, SO DON'T ASK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Now I'm thinking of changing my username to "thatGrandAmguy" since this car is my DD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: That\'s it!! The K30 is finally dead......

how about for the motor? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Congrats man. It takes some real skill to kill a K30. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't worry about anyone expecting you to part it out. I can't hardly give the parts to my K30 away. Everyone says they want this stuff but nobody has any money.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Everyone says they want this stuff but nobody has any money.

[/ QUOTE ] ooh, me me,I've got the cash. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Any 60's near Modesto, Ca?

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Next starter, try a mini with a heat shield attached....

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Everyone says they want this stuff but nobody has any money.

[/ QUOTE ]

'60 isn't for sale. The rest of it is but nobody will bite except my buddy wants the bed.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats a lot of starters... ever consider the mean green starter? kinda spendy, but they are supposed to be good for 250k starts or some silly thing like that. they are gear reduction units too, naturally.

j

9. thatK30guy

I will check into better starters whenever I get a new motor for this truck. I've had starter woes since I bought it. Didn't matter if one starter after the other went bad as the flexplate was showing signs of ground teeth early on. Just got worse with each grinding and new starters. Was only a matter of time before the teeth gave away. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Well Wess
    If your a REALLY good Boy Mabe Santa will bring ya what ya need

Just trying to cheer ya up

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    P.S.
    Its not to bad to just put some very long bolts in the tranny bellosing and then a floor jack at the back of the t case and slid th whole unit back 3- 4 " so ya can remove the flexplate with a wrench and put the new 1 in
    anyways good luck
    and like the 1 outher post said a heat sheild will do wonders
    and rember to buy your veterans flower today
    R

11. thatK30guy

Well, with no place to do it but on my concrete slab driveway and the temps see-sawing back and forth from the 30's to the 60's, and mainly with a new baby on the way Dec. 2nd, I'm really not feeling like tackling that job right now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Wes,

Do you want to part your truck out? If so, I dont need anything. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good luck getting it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

WOW, sorry to hear it's down. When you do get around to the repair stage, I would get a high torque mini starter. Lot's of room around the headers on mine. I also picked up some heat wrap for my spark plug wires. they also kept burning up on me! but that helped! alot!

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Oh come awn big boy....this is just another day in the life of dan or myself...we'd have that chit knocked out in a LONG weeknight! I worked on my rig up here all through the winter last year outside on the concrete, when temps were in single digits, when it was snowing, raining, windy, whatever. And I was coming from Texas! So dont give my that whiney B.S. Swap a smallblock in that damn thing and sell that gas guzzler pos 454...and get awn with life. Damn!!!

15. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

How about trading the 60 for a starter & ring gear /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll even throw in a 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Re: That\'s it!! The K30 is finally dead......

Well Wes I always saw you as a GrandAm kind of guy anyway !! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The K30 thing is more for those manly men. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Ah heck you may get the chance to throw the flex plate on her before it gets too darn cold. I know you'll miss the K30 this winter.

17. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to let you know, if you cancel your insurance you need to take the title to a non-highway title. It's against the law to have a highway titled vehicle uninsured in Kansas and can cause problems for you under certain circumstances if you were in an accident.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Something a hotrod friend told me, and my uncle did this, just take a starter to pepboys (dont amtter what kind really, jsut core charge) and get a starter for one of the new trucks 99+ i believe, for the 8.1L. It is a factory mini-starter, and hotrod friend has it on a BB no heatshield, and headers. Hasnt cooked a starter yet, and its been on his car since 2000 i think.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im on my 2nd starter and the first one got cooked cuase of the headers i THINK..of coursre this one i just pulled of my blazer..so it was a free fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those newer starters are pretty small. I'm not sure if they'd interfere with the ring gear or not on the flywheel...but they sure are expensive!!