Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THATS IT!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BB454, Apr 12, 2000.

1. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I've had enough. My truck just destroyed the rear axle AGAIN. That makes four in the past year that shattered for no reason. What I can't understand is that it never happens during off-roading when you might expect something to break. Everytime it happens during the same simple move.
    T-junction (Tar road)
    Come up to stop sign. (Driving like any normal human)
    Stop.
    Pull away turning left or right. (Like normal people)
    Chattering noise coming from the rear axle.
    CRAAACCK !!!!
    Another 10 bolt gone.
    The pinion gear broken in two and crownwheel minus plenty teeth. Set-up was perfect and LS fluid on correct level. What do I do wrong?
    'I'm telling you now - FORD 9" L/SLIP going into this truck once and for all'

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

14 bolt ff.......14 bolt ff.......14 bolt ff.......14 bolt ff......get it?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear about that!!
    I can only say that 10bolt rear axels are the weakest on the planet!
    Toss the whole damn thing in the scrap heap and get a D60 or a 14 bolt. Even a 12 bolt would be a great improvement from what you currently have!
    Good luck!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

FORD FORD FORD !!!!!!!
    NO 12/14 bolt Chevy's in this part of the world mate. Anyway - NEVER EVER had one of those 9" FORD units blow up on me like these #$@%&*$ Chevy ....THINGS.... and i've been racing them for years in many vehicles.

BB454

5. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I don't think that GM ever assembled a BB/10 bolt truck combination did they? Do you have a manual transmission? A BB and a MT is a lethal combination that most 10 bolts aren't going to put up with. You could have put a death crack in the gears when you were offroad and then it finally let go when you were back on pavement. I would put a 14 bolt FF in if I were you. It is a bolt in deal and they're cheap. The 14 bolt FF is much stronger then a stock 9" furd.
    CB

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I blew up two 10bolts, 1st time backing out of my garage, the second time turing around in the street after a wheeling trip, now I run a 14 bolt ff with Detroit - problem solved!

Steve

7. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

No CB - GM never made them this way. I put the 454 in this truck. The truck does have a SM465 MT but I take great care not to over-do it on the tar. Besides - the first two 10,s went to the 'happy hunting grounds' behind a stock 350, and the third behind a 400.
    I've got a nagging susp. that the LS clutches gets locked and on turning left or right on the tar they do not unlock and this shatters the gears. I know this is not likely but that would sure explain those strange chattering noises from the rear axle before it shatteres the centre. I have never had problems with the sideshafts or anything else but the crown and pinion. Anybody ever hear of something like LS freeze-up?

BB454

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are using the factory limited slip (Gov-Lok) then it's no surprise that they are blowing up. Replacing the diff with something like a Detroit Locker or Tru-Trac will greatly increase the strength. However, with the big block and 4 diffs in a year you would probably want something even beefier.
    Concerning all of these 10-bolts supposedly breaking under easy driving conditions, I almost guarantee that they were stressed to just below the breaking point as some other time shortly before they gave out. I have seen several different failures on different vehicles in all types of conditions (mostly serious trail riding) and almost all of them happen when we are back on the pavement and driving home.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if the clutches are not letting go then yeah I can see it happen. I have a 12 with a very tight LSD and it has over 300k on it with no trouble. The problem your going to run into with the 9, 14 FF is wrong bolt patern. The 14 SF was available with the correct bolt pattern as was the D60. The good part about the 9 and the 14 ff is that a detroit locker doesn't get any cheaper for them 2. The 144 being the cheapes. it installs like a lockright in the open diff. No gear set up required.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

10. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

6.2Blazer - The first rear that blew up was a Tru-Trac unit. The crown & pinion were replaced and when that broke again it split the whole carrier in two. I then went back to the original unit, what I believe you call a Gov-Lok, with the results that each time the crownwheel & pinion shattered and breaking the bearing carriers clean off the centre carrier. BUT...This only fuels my belief that the clutches freezes up so tight during off-road or long fast hi-way runs that they can't unlock completely once they need to for sharp turns on good grip surfaces. The result would explain the noise before it snaps. It seems both you and Steve, aswell as Grim.--found the breakage to happen under simular curcumstances. Thanks for sharing that.

BB454

11. Tylah

Tylah Registered Member

man i beg you please do not put a ford part on a chevy . the resale value would drop to almost nothing

12. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Remember the old song? -"IT'S TOO LATE NOW, BABY IT'S TOO LATE NOW" Well that's a fact. Sparks flying,oil splashing and spares all over the workshop floor. I've had enough, now let's see this truck do that to me again. Sorry Tylah. I'll send you a picture when I'm done. ha ha ha

BB454

13. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

My question for ya is how are you gonna mount a 6 lug chevy wheel on a 5 lug 9". Ford 9" will be a good upgrade from the 10 bolt and you can build em almost as strong as the Dana 60 with 35 spline axles. Chevy guy through and through here but I have to agree with ya a 9" is an extremely tough axle!

14. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I,ve got my soul invested in Chevy,s too. My main problem is the availability of those stronger GM axles overhere and that is the main reason for the 9"Ford project. As for the fitment of wheels - the sideshafts can very easily be re-pitched from 5 to 6 lugs. The 9"axle that I'm installing is wider than the 10Bolt thats coming out (I do not know the Fords and have no clue what vehicle it's out of) but that suits me fine as I never liked that narrow rear the Blazer has anyhow. I'm taking pictures of the project as it goes and will be happy to share with my ColoradoK5 family. This whole issue about putting a Ford axle in a Chevy --- the need to have a reliable truck is much stronger than my brand loyalty, more so on the subject of the inferiority of GM's 10Bolt.

BB454