Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thats what I get for working on it, aka I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 11, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats what I get for working on it, aka I\'m an idiot

Well lets see, 1 am rolls around and I CANNOT sleep. So I say, hey why not and head out to the garage. First time I've worked on the K5 in quite a while. So I start by draining the oil. Just as I am about to leave the oil there draining, it falls off the block(too high afterall) right over and lands on my feet. Ruining what was a semi decent pair of sneakers and oiling up my sock and leg. SO I oil dry my foot and the floor and decide to install my front shaft. Just reusing the stock front shaft off my other K5. I climb under there, wrestle it in there and after a bit and some arm fatigue(I need to get back to the Gym BAD), its in. So I go to grab the end and slide it down to meet the pinion. Hmm I can't budge it. Would have been a good thought to check if the slip joint actually SLIPPED before I installed the damn thing. It will not budge. Greased her up, put a rope around the u joint, sat in front of the axle with my feet on the axle, did nothing but hurt my hands. Ain't that just great. I look at a spare shaft I have, spline it out as much as I can. I now realize there is no way this shaft will be long enough and still have any sort of travel for my front suspension /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif god I'm stupid to have thought that would work. What really sucks is, I either have to buy a new front shaft or I likely won't be wheeling the k5 this year, if ever. I could try and lengthen what I have but I have no idea what material I will use for that. And I just don't have more money to spend on the K5. All in all a good night. I still am not tired but I got way too frustrated to keep working.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: thats what I get for working on it, aka I\'m an idiot

what time is it there now? Hopefully you can solve that problem, that will suck if you can't fix it. Hopefully you can get some money to fix it. Can you borrow money from family or something? Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Hate it when I fill my shoe with oil. About the front shaft, if its just for offroad use, how about a square tube shaft? You already have the yokes on your old shaft that you could cut off and use and square tubing is pretty cheap. Just a thought.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its 2 now. All got done real fast but just capped off a night full of bad moods. Nah can't borrow money, in debt too much and I'm spending all my money to build my Burb into a nice daily driver. Oh well, I will figure something out or the K5 will rot either way. I don't care big time about the K5 anymore, I'm leaving in a few months and will get limited at best use out of it at this point.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I lived closer I'd lend you some money.
    Where are you going in a few months? What left do you have to do for your 'burb?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ehh I'm not sure if the factory CV joint has enough operating angle for my use either. My tcase is rotated up a bit and I've sitting on about 5" of lift so its iffy I think. If I were to go square shaft I would probably eliminate the CV joint, but then I have to buy a yoke for the output, joints, and the rest of the pieces to make it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I lived closer I'd lend you some money.
    Where are you going in a few months? What left do you have to do for your 'burb?

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't accept, don't like anyone money. I'm moving out to Western PA for school, won't be taking the K5 with me. THe burb, all I have left to do is, tires, lift, axle, motor. I'm building a 383 for it. I've decided so far that I Think that was a mistake on my part, the motor in there was pretty good I'm just being stupid spending my money to have a fresh motor /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

205 t-case?

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So your k5 will sit while your in school, or are you going to come back and work on it when you have time? How long is school for? Is there anyway you can put the engine back together for now, then when you have more money upgrade it?
    Alan, sorry if I am asking to many questions /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm used to your questions /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'm in a better mood today, and I think I figured out something for now on the K5. Gonna use some spare change(a large sum mind you) I had sitting around saving for my girls birthday. I will just save some money from paychecks when her Bday rolls around or borrow money from my parents to get her presents. I hate oweing money but I love her more than I hate oweing money. Anyway yeah so I think I will construct a square front shaft. Gonna go to the banka nd have them throw the change in my account then call Jesse or maybe BTF up and see if I can get the 241 Yoke for a 1350 joint. As for the motor, I'm still a little angry at myself for even starting the project, but I've started so why not. WIll make the burb a better tow vehicle and more fun.

Oh and as for school, its a solid year with I think 4, 1 week long, breaks. So I really won't have time to come home and work on it or wheel it. When I return from school as of now(lot could change) I plan to build a tube buggy or something like an S10 Hybrid rig, using my K5s axles and other parts.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

haha my questions will keep coming then! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Whens her birthday? If its not to personal, what are you getting her? How much is it going to cost you to build the tube driveshaft for the front? How much do you got left to finish the engine, or do you have all the parts? I know what your saying, I hate being in debt too, I owe my mom money for stuff I bought off of kennyw (i had to use her credit card) and I just finished paying 1500, now I still need around 500 canadian to be debt free. Then depending on how long that takes to pay off I need to figure out undercoating for the frame, etc, and herculiner (or something simular) for the tub. Then after I get those small sums of money out of the way, I need to save up for the fixed yoke conversion, and the doubler kit for my 205 and 203. So really, it's a race against time and money for me.
    All I can say is good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif When you have your 4, 1 week breaks, do you plan to visit your family and your girlfriend, or what will you do in that time? one more question, what are you taking for a course?

I think thats the most questions I've ever asked in one post /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm

10/23 is her birthday

I would tell you what I plan to get her but she reads CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

no idea on driveshaft cost yet

all I really need for the motor is, intake, pistons, and the gasket/bearing sets.

Likely I will spend one or two of those breaks at home, and hopefully she can come stay with me for one or two of them, or I stay with her whatever. So basically I'd like to split the breaks between the 2 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL oooh... so its coming up pretty quickly, how about after her birthday you tell me (or whoever else wants to know) what you got her... I always had troubles getting a girlfriend a present...

Thats a good idea, splitting the time between the 2.
    The driveshaft couldn't cost too much... depending on how much the ujoints and steel price is.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah no problem, as I type she is reading this post so yeah /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how do you know she is reading this? ck5 has a few mysteries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Well, Sled dog
    I live in western, PA (New Kensington, PA to be exact) and i specialize in making stuff work on a K-5 on a budget and i got buddy's who warehouse plenty of spare parts for me (AKA: leave me use they're back yard for storage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) so if you decide you want to throw it on a dolly and bring it out after all, bring the beast over and we'll take wrench in hand and ETC......
    BTW:here's a couple of pic's of my vehicle's that i've honed my Chebby building skill's on, wheeling in Western, PA wellone is on my road and one is just a gravel pile in my driveway but hey , nothing's perfect /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

rig looks cool man, I am sure I will talk to you more. I'm building my Burb to wheel out there when I'm at school but maybe I could take my K5 out if I had a place to put it. I will be in Blairsville PA, where you located?

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how do you know she is reading this? ck5 has a few mysteries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    nah no mystery, I was on the phone with her when I made that post /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL ooh ic. haha. good luck again with everything before you go to school, put your mind to it, and you can finish it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your girlfriend's b-day is the same day as mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif