Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

That's what that noise was!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 27, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That\'s what that noise was!

I was plauged for months by this horrid sratching sound, slowly progressing over time. Almost like a fan on a schroud. It was driving me crazy, cause I couldn't find it for the life of me, it was randomly intermittent, and I had eliminated almost everything. Then a friend made a comment about my "polished balancer" and I began to wonder why it was so clean... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: That\'s what that noise was!

So what, something hit the bottom of the x member and then the balancer rubbed a whole in it??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Wow! now thats a nice mod u got there. So, whats wrong? the motor mounts loosen and she tilted forward or what??

4. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

I would say broken motor mounts.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the motor mounts were completely shot! New ones really lifted that engine back up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

DAYUM! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Did you pull the belts off the balancer pulley and check for play? How much did you grind off the balancer it self? If it's been rubbing for awhile, I'd be worried about that front main bearing. With the mounts broken and the engine sagging enough to rest on the balancer, something had to support all that weight. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Holy crap i bet thats exactly what the noise was on my truck then too! Kinda sounded likt there was a wire hanging down and hiting the fan right? Mine usally only did it taking corners and mine was a longbed pickup too. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't think that would have been a problem. It tended to do it more when I was compression braking real hard, or putting a load on the p/s pump, or alternator, anything that kinda make the engine tweak a little. I got crate engines in my sights anyway, this one will work until it breaks.

What do you guys think about that crossmember? It also has a crack on one of the ends, and now this. Should I get one of those Missourri Offroad Outfitters crossmembers? I was thinking about that, but I also want to do that ford shock tower thing, and wouldn't want the crossmember to be in tha way of that.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads truck did that too. When you changed the mounts, did you closely inspect the pieces the mounts bolt to?

Both mine and my dads were cracked in that location. (either the crossmember or the metal pieces bolted to the crossmember)

His '74 was in much worse shape crack wise than mine.