Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The 14ff disk swap break line thread.. post your pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 6, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've read about about many different options on doing brake lines on a 14ff disk swap. I'm using d44 calipers that require a 7/16 banjo bolt. I'm considering cutting the hardline about halfway down both axle tubes, flaring the line with a flare tool, and getting a fitting that will thread into some kinda rubber break hose which will also bolt to the calipers. Pictures, part numbers, and any ideas are more than welcome.. It seems like everybody has done something a little different when it comes to brake lines. I would like to see a wide array of options.

thanks,
    James

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

covered tons of times. search brake hose #s

i just used new frts and scrap frt hose hangers from scrap truck. cut off what i needed to hold hose and welded to axle like stock. made lines and blead it. comon super easy hose to find.

3. 78Suburban

I search but I find a bunch of random, unclear info.. It would be cool if we kinda had a collection of just options for rear brake lines..

I thought of using my old front rubber lines, but they are kinda dry rotten, I'll probably go a head and spring for some new ones... Most of the threads don't have pics either, and pictures are worth a thousand words.. I need to visualize how it all goes together with the different possible brake line setups.. :wink1:

4. 78Suburban

What side banjo bolts do those lines use? If they use 7/16, a part number would be awesome, because it would be very nice and simple to have a line that threads right into the old wheel cylinder fitting :bow:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I suspect they're the Chevette lines, but they came with the kit, so I have no idea. Lemme go see if they have any good numbers on them (though I betcha it's just for the rubber hose proper.)

Worst case, you can use front hoses as appropriate for your caliper, and just deal with the extra length (cut down the hardline, or loop it.)

-- A

6. dremu

7. 78Suburban

Awesome, I'll get the chevettle lines then. I'm glad they're cheap. I'll just go ahead and try to rent both a double flare tool and that hub socket I was talking about from Autozone, because they're both in their loan a tool program.

This swap is gonna be easier than I was thinking!!

One more question.. Any tips on using a double flare tool? I've never used one, and never seen one used.

thanks
    James

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

fyi its not good to loop the lines down that low in the system as air might get traped. seen it before. and yes tha factory does it up top for flex at the body. and any air can blead back much easyer to kep it from going in the system to far.

second on chevet hoses.

9. dremu

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the hub socket is also something that is worth buying. you will use it again if you ever need to replace balljoints up front.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry for all of the questions and the hijack but how does your ebrake cable mount. I see the notch but I do not see you using the notch.

Ira

12. dremu

Didn't like the notch, as it bent the cable end at 90 degrees.

I ended up using a folded piece of flat stock welded to the wrench, to keep the cable straight at the end ... as circled.

I take pix throughout the evolution of my projects -- and boy howdy do they seem to evolve -- so things change. Frequently.

And btw, drilling wrenches sucks. Even with a drill press. Welding on them wasn't bad -- just cranked up the heat -- but that hardened tool steel thing is for real :eek1:

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/brakecable.jpg

-- A

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks. I think I have a direction to travel now:D

Ira

14. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

On my DD and my Rig I have stock D60 front rubber brake lines. Work good and have not had any issues yet.