Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The 415ci is apart - Problem identified - Calibrate your torque wrench!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Sep 27, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

UPDATE! After borrowing a nice Snapon torque wrench this time because I suspected my cheap Crewline one to be faulty - I decided to do a little test- Mine was off by about 55lbs - can we guess why the head gasket blew? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Figures! Time to buy a Snapon!

I pulled a compression test late yesterday and found the 3 & 5 cyl both at 80 psi - easy call as a blown head gasket between the two, and once the head was pulled, it was verified. All the other cyl's are up around 145psi but I'm going to pull both heads anyhow. These 75cc heads were just installed to replace my old aging stock 76cc heads. Just had the new heads surfaced, pocket ported, matched and a fresh vavle job so its going to take a bit of time to figure out exactly how things went wrong - the small bump in compression along with light duty plugs and no change in my ignition tuning could have brought my temps up on the trip given the long grades and heavy load in the back. I'm hoping to have it back together tonight assuming I don't find the need to machine anything.

Just goes to show you that money and time invested into a stout bottom end can pay off over and over again in the long run. I've been skimping on the top end until I can finish the lighter tube chassis - so I dont stress on getting into a set of aluminum 72cc vortecs which are going to get me close to 9.8:1 compression - weight will be a big factor in the type of gas and amount of advance I can run. Running 87 octane at 9.5:1 has been easy with the 76cc heads previously on the truck, I'm thinking of installing my heavy duty plugs to slow the combustion process on the 75cc heads for the short term, or maybe indexing my light duty's to shroud the center of the chamber. Either way, the 415 lives again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Re: The 415ci is apart and the rotating assembly is fine, but...

Woohoo! Glad you decided to fix it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: The 415ci is apart and the rotating assembly is fine, but...

Mkie awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Update at the very top! Its got me wondering what else I used that wrench on!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was just thinking I should buy a new Torque Wrench for when I start really working on the K5. Was thinking cheapy from Harbor Freight, maybe I will spend the cash.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Definately spend the money! It would be best to buy a torque wrench which can't fatigue if left on a setting for any durration of time. I think mine was left on a torque setting for a long period of time the last time I loaned it out, it would explain the miscalibration. The Snapon one I have now is real slick - but pricey!

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

cool man, i thought you really blew her up. glad it was just a head gasket.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have just purchased 4 different snap-on torque wrenches from E-bay. You should be looking for them there. Assuming you save yourself over half the price of a new one and then have it calibrated once you get it you are still money ahead. Of the 4 torque wrenches I bought 2 of them are brand new and I saved almost $100.00 each from not buying them off the snap-on truck.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I learned that lesson along time ago. But a good lesson. My snap on guy has a torque wrench tester on his truck. 8 years later, only had it calibrated once. Was worth the money. With any torque wrench. When you are done, reset it to zero. If you don't the spring inside will stretch.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinking, I would recheck the oil pump, rod caps, and main caps....

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: The 415ci is apart - Problem identified - Calibrate your torque wrench!

This is one of the reasons I have a beam type torque wrench. Easy to see if it's out of calibration and I don't use one often enough to justify a clicker, even though they are easier to use.

Double Ditto on backing those down to zero. Back it off every time you set it down. Not because it should be backed down that often, but to get into that habit.

The engine shop I do some consulting for has two Snap-On Torque wrenches they use for heads, rods, & mains. Every 6 mos on alternating schedules one gets sent out and recalibrated.

12. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Hey guys ware do you send then to get them calibrated I have a Kolbolt one and Ilost the certificate that came with it to have it recalibrated.
    Earl