Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The 427 Truck Engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Aug 25, 2000.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever considered finding one of these for a swap-in? I am referring to the Chevy 427 Commercial Truck gas engine. Would this also bolt up to any chevy tranny? Does it have the same motor mounts as the passenger blocks we know and love? If so, it strikes me that this would be an ideal swap, as it is obvously far more heavily engineered than passenger car engines, and would have things like larger oil capacity, larger cooling systems, heavier cylinder walls etc etc. Anyone know if this is possible?

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

2. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I can't say for sure, I do know that the 366 truck BB is a direct replacement. From what I know, I would say it is. Since you're considering looking for the engine, don't rule out a 454. It'll be easier to find, and has more cubes. The 454 came in one tons from the seventies to the present so they should be more abundant. Good luck,

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The truck series of 427 engines have a .400" taller deck, which allows for 4 ring pistons. There are no performance versions of 4 ring pistons, only 8:1 compression. Maybe that's OK for you. I don't think you gain anything by using a truck engine.

ken

4. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Tall deck block...

Like Ken said, the Truck blocks are tall deck and there are no performance parts (cheap) for them. Heads on them are for LOW rpm use. Passenger heads will bolt up. But to use a perf. intake you need to use a spacer.

Being taller though will alow you to use a longer rod and some custom pistons. But then again, we are talking EXPENSIVE! Passenger BBC are more plentiful, and have TONS of aftermarket stuff for them.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Tall deck block...

My thoughts exactly... If you have to search hard to find the motor, then finding performance parts of any sort would probably be even harder.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Re: Tall deck block...

366 and 427 truck blocks are ideal for building mountain motors that suck up all you cash. the deck height on the talls are 10.2 and the smalls 9.8. so your intake won't fit unless you get spacers...etc.etc.etc. don't get involved. its not worth it, plus the tall decks have serious core shift problems. you can easily build a 500 horsepower 454 with stock components and a not so radical cam. go the small deck way not the tall deck way.......the talls are a unneccesary hassle.