Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The 454 has growled!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

About 3 hours ago, for the first time in my life, I heard a 454 almost tear down my house. What's best is that it is MY 454 installed in my Blazer!!!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif I still can't believe it!!! someone please pinch me. My family came out and gave me a hand because I'm near the end of this project, and they know what it means to me.

This is the 454 I've been telling you about since May 2001 when I bought it. Started the swap in Oct, and finally cranked it today. Just imagine that. Only a set of headers Sunday at 10:30pm.

Too bad I still haven't connected my tranny (still TH350) because I need to replace the kick-down cable and dipstick tube gaskets. So I was only able to rev it up for a while.

I'm a bass player, and this engine can play bass, especially when the Flowmasters are still disconnected because the Thorleys are longer than the old Flowtech Afterburners.

I thought it was going to be all shaky because of it's power, but I was so mistaken. All vibrations went away since I replaced the engine mounts with new Energy Suspension inserts.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to release all this joy. I want to thank all the guys that have been helping me by answering to my posts about this swap.

Thanks!

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It's a great feeling ain't it

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Right on dude!
    Congratulations!
    There's nothing like the feeling of firing up your engine for the first time when it comes to life/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!

RRRROOOOAAAARRRRRRR!

Everytime i start up the 454 in my car my dad says it shakes all the windows in the house and stuff is moving around on the coffee table./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    ...Thats probally why your family was coming outside to see what was up./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

wow that is so cool , ill bet you cant wait to hook up evrything else and get her driven that will be a reall experience. ps i was just kinda wonderin how much do ou think a rebilt 454 would cost me and how good of gas econimy i could expect

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I have no idea what a 454 will cost in your area. I got mine for about $300 including a set of Thorley headers. But I got really lucky. A friend bought a 454 for about $600, and he was not wise enought to check it beforehand. Now I just found out that his is a 396.

About mileage, I'm being positive here. I used to get 10mpg on highway with the old 350. I'm hoping maybe 8-9mpg, since this one has more power, it needs less downshifts.

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the BB.I love these things!!!I just swapped cams in my 454 in the Crew Cab.It really woke it up.Now it will let loose in 3rd on dirt.And there is four 6' marks (dually) going into my driveway.I swapped a 454 in the wifes Sub.But that one let a bearing go so is sitting waiting for a rebuild then it will most likly end up in my Blazer.Around here 454s go for $600 for builders.You can find them running cheaper but not very often.Brady

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I got my 454 compleat and running for free. My Dad had just got it out of a motor home that a tree had fallen on and he had already recently picked up three other 454's just befor aquiring that one. Plus he threw in a set of Hooker headers for a 73-87 big block 4x4 pickup.
    Now if I can just get the old man to cut loose with the tall profile polised aluminum Mickey Thomson valve cover I'll be happy. Belive it or not they are on a nice looking 454 stufted into a trashed camoflaged 56 Willey's pickup.

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Dam does your dad want to give away another!!I paid $750 for the 1 I have sitting.I did get an awesome deal on the crew cab though.I paid $600 for the whole truck.My buddy and I towbared the thing 60 miles with his crewcab.It was a sight!The next weekend i had it running.It is a '77 1 ton dually with 454/465 combo with the dana 70 rear.Brady

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Like I said it was free but only after about six months of begging and pleeding. Little does the old fart know I will be using his four bay shop he had built two years ago to do the engine swap HEHE.

10. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

ya but if i was to buy a rebilt 454 how much you think it would cost with a good condision 350 trade in.if anyon knows would you plz tellme.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Congrats Juan! I know that you have a few new scars on your knuckles after this little adventure! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Most folks probabaly don't realize that you pulled off this conversion in Guatemala! Most impressive! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up Harry! I do have a few scars from this engine swap.

Yes it is a greater pain to do this swap in Guatemala. Many americans whine about Pep Boys and Autozone bad service, but you should be glad 'cause all we get here is Toyota and Nissan parts. Can you believe the dealer no longer carries TH350 parts!!? The good part is I found a Dana60 and 14 Bolt for $400/forums/images/icons/cool.gif