Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The 60 is in.... Got questions on king pins and such? <edit>

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by az-k5, Mar 17, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I shoved my 1990 dodge D60 in yesterday. 18 hours later I could road test it. This is wear the problems began.
    Very loose steering feel.
    Horrible camber.
    Horrible turning radius.
    Horrible pinion angle (mostly due to my 1" extended shackles).

I have two plans of attack for this. I need to find camber shims (the disks for between the spring pack) and put 4° shims in the spring pack. The camber shims should help the steering wander and feel and the spring shims will help the pinion angle.

Questions:
    1)I found the camber shims (www.completeoffroad.com ), how do you know which one to use?
    2)How do you deal with the 2 studs in the diff when shimming the springs?
    I am lost and need help
    Thank you in advance /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

PS is searched first thus creating these questions, any place cheaper for the camber shims will help too. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: The 60 is in.... Got big problems with alainment = questions

Those shims you're referring to are for CASTER, not camber.

Tony P is making spring plates to offset the shims and the bolt can then sit flat on the plate.

Right now you most likely have too much caster. Shims are going to reduce your caster, so most likely your problems with wandering and such are not due to caster.

I personally am not putting shims on my '60. I'm calling Jesse and ordering a HAD to deal with my pinion angle issues.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

D60 Update... Found problems need help

Well I got a better look at everything today and found my king pins are shot (just my luck) I am gonna replace them this weekend and see if I can't find a way to shim my axle (the pinion is negative due to the shackles and such).

Still looking for advice.
    How do you install king pins (the lowers and the compressing the spring mainly)
    Thanx

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: D60 Update... Found problems need help

I haven't had my lowers apart, but on the uppers, the studs were more than long enough to use that to compress the spring. The spring isn't under as much tension as you'd think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: D60 Update... Found problems need help

Ditto on TonyP for the shims and spring plates. He is da man...

As far as the kingpins go, are the actual pins damaged, or just the plastic bushings?

ORD carries the spring/bushing sets for a reasonable price. The lower bearing, race, and seal aren't too bad, but you will need to tear the axle down to remove the knuckles to do the bottom end.

You can get the complete rebuild kits from ORD, Parts Mike, or 4wd factory.

If you are planning to replace the king pins themselves, you will need to locate or make a 7/8" hex wrench. A torch is a handy thing to have on hand too.

Send me your e-mail addy, and I will send you a PDf file outlining the kingpin rebuild procedure.

Byron

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Install a second set of shims on top of the springpack facing the opposite way....then all your studs will be perpendicular again.

(OR)

Get a set of "spherical washers" from McMaster Carr. They're only about $5 and will allow the nut to sit squarely on the washer. The washer is 2-pieces and swivels to take out the angularity. It's how I did mine and it works great.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well I got to callin' around the local shops and figure since the axle was never wheeled and only ran stock tires the pins should be fine, I do need the poly sphere uppers however. I am still wondering if I need the lowers too (or should I just do it while I am in there) I have no problem tearing the thing down, just never got into a 60 that deep. My dad and I went over the shimming idea and he also mentioned the double shim idea. I guess it works so I will do that.
    Thanx, and keep the info comming. I am a newbie to the king pin world (once they are new I think I will like them a lot more than ball joints /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

8. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

IMHO, do the bearings (lowers) while you are at it. A little more work, but worth the effort. I found my top king pin was well greased, while the bearings on the bottom were rusty and full of grit. Getting to them isn't too bad. It's also a good time to inspect those wheel bearings, races, seals, etc.

If your 60 is like mine was, now is a good time to replace the wheel bearings, races, and rear hub seal.

Make sure you replace the poly insert and springs at the same time. You may not see it. but those springs do compress over time.
    The last thing you want is the dreaded D60 "death wobble" due to weak kingpin springs.
    Some folks here (myself included) have even added a washer or two on top of the spring to increase the spring pressure on the poly insert, to "tighten up" the knuckle, and stop death wobble.

You will find many folks here offer pros and cons to the washer trick, but I recently installed them in my caps, and they are working for me.

If you take the time now to inspect/replace worn parts, they will be less likely to come back and bite you when you least expect it.

Just my .02
    Byron

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

bump...I mean, take a look at these top plates...

[​IMG]

10. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Heres TonyP's top plate and shim on the pumpkin side of mine... (Ubolts were trimmed after the pic was taken)
    [​IMG]

And the drivers side. Notice the taller shim he made to make up for the shorter Dodge perch the PO had installed.
    [​IMG]

(Blinging black paint job sold seperately... )