Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the 83 caprice, should i sell whole or re-use the drivetrain ?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by R72K5, Oct 14, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have an 83 caprice sedan thats been and still is reliable daily driver, and its got a few issues that i dont really want to tackle such as needing exhaust replaced and front end has a wierrd bumpsteer problem the car jumps over sideways over bumps, worse at higher speeds, but the drivetrain is great and not even 100k yet it just flipped ot 90,000 the other day and is tip top runner, the 700r4 is clean and nice too,
    i could sell the car for 500 im sure, the drivetrain is worth less being a smogger 305 ESC controlled engine and early 700r4, but i was thinking about maybe saving it for a pickup body later on, and meanwhile keep driving it in the car and keep on top of oil changes and such til then,

what would you do ? sell entire thing for 500 or ruin the car over a 150 dollar drivetrain ? buying a good 350 and th350 longtail would cost lots more, hard to find that stuff around anymore,

thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd keep the drivetrain if you like it. Sure, it's only a 305, but you can find a mid 80's Camaro or something like that and drop the drive train into. Then either drive it or sell it for alot more then the five bills you can get out of the caprice. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Just sell it whole, you'll probably come out better in the end. 350's are a dime a dozen, put that in a pickup instead. Someone will take that Caprice off your hands for the right price.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd keep the drivetrain if you like it. Sure, it's only a 305, but you can find a mid 80's Camaro or something like that and drop the drive train into. Then either drive it or sell it for alot more then the five bills you can get out of the caprice. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

whats kinda funny is that i have an 82 trans am that i found a 77 van for the 350(originally 400SB) and th350 in and already installed it into the car, the 350 is 76 car 2bbl one i swapped it over to factory 82 trans am 4bbl aluminum intake and accessories,

350 arent so dime a dozen anymore, its actually a hell of a challenge to find an actual 350 anymore, everytime you go to look at an engine that someone claims is a 350 it turns out being a 305 anymore, its horrible,.
    one in about 10 is actually a 350, and truck ones are hardest to find now, wasnt like this about two years ago, they used to be everywhere, i dont think i can find another 350 anymore, so thats why im contemplating using the caprice as drivetrain donor since has right length tranny for 73-up trucks, it would pop right in with headers i have and '75-'79 style Qjet and HEI. its already factory aluminum 4bbl, so..
    maybe put a 350 cam and new chain set in it and make it like an L69 that way.
    but then could sell car for a good chunk, but cant guarantee that can find a 350 anymore. at least not around here anymore,

its the demo derbies that have killed drivetrains and donors, donors being trucks if the cars' drivetrains are broken in which commonly are, cars being ruined therefore and truck bodies scrapped, been going on for years and years, so not much left anymore cept late '80s and up,.

thanks

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its the demo derbies that have killed drivetrains and donors, donors being trucks if the cars' drivetrains are broken in which commonly are, cars being ruined therefore and truck bodies scrapped, been going on for years and years, so not much left anymore cept late '80s and up,.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen some nice looking 2wd burbs meet there end in the local derby's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I know a guy in West Central IL that still has pretty good luck finding 350's. I have had trouble finding 350 and 400's for several years too.

In my case I would probably take $500 for the car and buy a good running 350 with the $500. Would take some searching to find one that you could hear run and feel confident it's worth $500 though.

On the flip side, if you're not wanting to make gobs of power, you can do what you've mentioned with the 305 (headers, non-computer HEI and Qjet, cam, etc.) and make 250hp pretty easily with a 305. I'd still rather have the 350 but there have been a couple of times that I had all the spare parts laying around to build a 305 for the price of rings and bearings and have always been happy with the results.

So I'd say flip a coin... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Paul

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a locked up 4 bolt main 350 sitting on the floor. Maybe I should sell it to you instead of save it?