Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Absolutely BEST wearing tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Nov 30, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My dad is going to get me a new set of tires for my DD tomorrow (2500 dodge)........ I'm wonder what is the best wearing tire for a street queen? This truck sees 99% road miles, and I want the tires to last. Not really thinking of getting all terrains, unless there are some that last significantly longer than steet tires.
    Any recommendations,
    Thanks,
    James :bow:

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've had very good luck with Michelins

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

www.tirerack.comlots of good info on each tire and can do comparisons on tires to.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

their shipping is actually about what any joe off the street would pay too. my tires from there are cheaper. i dont have to pay for shipping since they're only about 20 mins away from me. :p:

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Although some people don't like them for whatever reasons, I had a set of General Grabbers that were fair priced, and lasted a very long time. I think I got around 50,000 miles out of them (31"ers).

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

ground hawgs

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

What size are you running? If stock, go with Michelin XPS; pretty pricey, but they wear like iron.
    Jimbo

8. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I had a good experience with BFG A/T's back in the day. The Michelins I had on that S-10 way back when sucked in the rain. Tho I dont know much now..., either Mudders on the truck or Ultra High Performance on the modded Mustang.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Michelin LTX M/S

John

10. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

x2 :D

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on my dad's dualie have lasted 60K miles. I don't know how, but they have.

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

X3 :D

A second choice would be bfg's either A/Tt's or M/T's. I had 45K on a set of m/t's on my 3/4 ton gmc when I took them off, they still had at least 5K left. They were 285/75-16's.

Or a more expensive option would be to upgrade to a 19.5 medium duty truck tire, like these from Rickson

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

2nd that, those are pretty good tires for the money. Have them on my C10.

14. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i had the Michelin LTX A/Ts, i had gotten them from Sams Club.

i had put maybe 45k highway miles on them and they were just about over 1/2 way gone.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Michelins are good, but were out of my price range at $193 each + tax/mount/balance. I went with the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country instead, at $103. I have a little over 10,000 miles on them with no noticable tread wear. I figure I could buy *roughly* two sets of Uniroyals for what one set of Michelins cost, and get many more miles that way. A guy at work got over 80,000 from his Uniroyals on a C1500, and I will likely get close to the same... unless my evil side takes over and I lift the truck and mount up my Iroks :xmas:

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I run Goodyear Workhorses on my GMC and Blazer, I am pleased with wear and road manors, they do have a howl but its not bad. I had some Kumho Street tires on the front of my scottsdale back when it ran they were excellent. They handled alot of abuse well, that truck did lots of high speed running through feilds and jumping steep intersections and the 6.2 never killed a side wall or blew one out.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

These are Sport Kings , I heard they are made by BFG . These will be 2 years old in February . Still have yet to poke one . These are the first set of tires I have not picked nails or screws up in . They have just enough void to work well in mud and sand . The sipes grab wet rocks . These things wear nice and even with regular rotations , even with a rear locker and me trying to get chirps .

I may buy a set of these , or maybe the Mud Kings , when these get low and I go 35's on the DD :D

Oh , and at mt local mom and pop tire store , these were 540 out the door mounted and balanced . Thats 135 each , and I got my moneys worth considering BFG's at Discount are 560.00 PLUS disposal , PLUS balancing , PLUS certs , PLUS epa fee , PLUS tax = 742.23 for the same thing in a name brand :D:D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I like my Big O Big Foot, You pay a little more for the tires, but that includes warrenty, free balancing and rotations..... I have both of my Blazers and my trailer....

19. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I got about 60k out of my Goodyear Wrangler RT/S in a fullsize. My wife got about 50k out her Uniroyal Laredos but on an S10 Blazer. Keeping them properly inflated on the road will make a big difference as well.

20. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I'll give another recommendation for the BFG A/T's. I just replaced mine with another set of BFG A/T's. The set I just took off had around 95K miles on them. Probably could have gotten over 100K, but I had a tie rod wear out and it caused some the fronts to wear quicker than the rears. These are 265/75/16's mounted on the 98 chevy in my sig.