Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The adventures of installing a steering box and weld on brace!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Chaz88K5, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

OK i found a ride over to the shop this morn and finished up the welding on the frame...painted it and swaped all the parts over to my new steering box...spent another 2 hours tryin to get that one last hard as hell to get to bolt when you have the bolt on brace on...and the weld on one dosent help much in the issue...well anyway end up haveing to pull the other 3 out and start out with that one first...so i finaly get em all in and tighented down..hooked up all the hoses and pulled the power steering pump out and did the the mods that are shown on the WTO web site to build up more pressure and make the hydro ram work faster...so all was well and i was gettin all excited that i was almost done...but it was getting late so i figured i would start bleeding the power steering pump and i go to turn the wheel...and i turn it left....look at the wheels....they are goin right....turn the wheel right and the wheels are goin left /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif so then i procede to $%^$#*&%#%^&@%#* and start kick the [censored] out of stuff in the shop and throw a wrench accross the shop /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...ok so now i am pissed...i spent all day...installing a box thats screwed up /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i guess its practice for when i get it fixed or another one...so i get to do it all over again next weekend...joy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

That BITES!!!

David

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I hear ya. I spent more money on bolts for the tube bender, got smart and welded down the mount and get to bending once again and same thing, so I get fed up with it and put everything up, watch a little TV and the thought hits me, it's all about angles. Because of the position of the bender in relation to the ram, the ram was pushing the lever straight, moving the whole bender while under load; but wasn't doing this during unloaded testing. Don't understand physics or whatever science this falls under, so next weekend the bender gets remounted at an angle and everything should be good.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i think they put the worm gear in backwards or something...i dont know the inner workings of the box so who knows whats really up with it....

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That would be kinda cool.. Keeps some one from stealing it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OMFG /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

hey man its not funny /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif just because i have no luck at all...if it wasent for bad luck i wouldent have any at all /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

mat from west texas just got ahold of me on another post in the second gen board...and looks like someone made a boo boo. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif..but he is takin care of it and sending me another box...WTO it right up there with offroad design on customer service

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sorry, I've done the weld in kit so I know what a PITA it is and all I could see was you turning the wheel and thinking WTF have I done.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifSo I wasn't laughing at you, just the situation.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGlad to hear your geting it all worked out though....

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You prolly know about this and it's prolly too late but for those who are going to put the weld in brace on their frame in the future there is one trick that I found to be very good advice when doing the instalation. Bolt the fish plate on to the frame and use an impact wrench to suck it up tight before welding it. Then weld it and remove the bolts. The thing will fit much better if you do this...
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Chazz,
    Glad to hear that its comming together finally.

But think about it. I've seen Jeep Wranglers with opposite steering. and people trying to go through a Cone course. Might be fun for a few minutes if you try it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Landsmasher- About the weld in brace. thanks for the idea of using the bolts to suck it tight to the frame. That is going to be the next weekend project my Dad and I do. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (now that my motor is shot time to do the projects on the back burner)

Sorry Chazz for the side track. Back to the good news...Lates KEN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

thats exactly what i did...then i took a BFH and form it in a few spots where it was sticking up and slaped on a few of my crappy welds they dont look perty but they hold /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Chaz

13. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i think ill pass on the opposite steering...it was confusing enough to just push it out of the shop and into the shed...really took alot of thinkin to do it.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

LOL...Good luck with it bro...

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Kind of like backing up a tank