Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The bed of my Cummins got munched :( *ALL FIXED NEW PICS UPDATED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Sep 17, 2006.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

So on thursday my Fiancee was driving my truck (she drives it all the time, she loves it and were going to be getting her her own). I get a call from her hysterical in tears, so I left work and went down to see what the matter was. As soon as she told me where she was, it was no shock to me she had hit something. The parking lot is split into 2 with a chain link fence on one side and poles on the other, with a small space to go through. She got caught in a VERY tight spot with the lot full of cars and a big rig blocking the exit, so she had to go back out the way she came in. There was a long bed truck in front of her and cars behind with the fence on the right and pole on the left. NOW if it were just a pole it might have been ok, but the pole had a HUGE eyelet in it for a chain to go across and the eyelet ripped the bed open, pretty gnarly.

She is so upset about what happenned and feels so guilty, I told her it was no big deal, its only metal (the bed none the less, not the cab) and the important thing is no one was hurt.

Insurance will cover it and its her first accident, but her insurance will go up (about 1200 a year for the dodge) and wont go down for at least 6 years and thats $7200 (plus the deductable). It'll be about $5k to fix (maybe alittle less) by a VERY reputable shop who are family friends. The used to speacialize in semi painting, now they do it all, lots of show cars. So I think we're just going to pay for it outright. Ill let you know how it goes.

Heres some pics.
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

been driving it every day since then just as it is.. gives it a bit of character :D

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ouuuch

4. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

dayum dood hows the filler neck? is it ok?

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Nah, its bent too. Broke the gas cap, but I can still get it off, I put a locking one on.

I dont want to keep it like that, its pretty bad, if you look at the truck form the back the bed is all tweaked to the up to the left. Its a pretty clean truck and I want to keep it that way.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why won't her insurance go down for 6 years? In California insurance and courts only go back 3 years against you for tickets or accidents.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

dang, but like you said important thing no one was hurt and you lucked out, it would be a TON more expensive if it woulda caught up by that extended cab door.

Maybe check the salvage yards for a clean box. Sometimes it works out good like that. A kid I went to college with busted the hell out of the box on his 98 Z71. He went to the junkyard the next day, bought a perfectly straight box, same paint and all, he got lucky. But its always worth a shot

8. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't have room to speak too much in this area because I have only been driving for about 8 months but when you feel/hear/see the munching of the truck wouldn't you stop? Looks like she kept going for another foot or two.

-Avery

9. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

as soon as i saw avery posted i knew a smart ass comment was brewing up

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

why must the pot be stirred in every thread? Now can you honestly say that isn't a legitimate question? Like I said above though I don't have much room to speak but I was just wondering.

-Avery

11. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

true but why would you say something like that? I was taught if u dont have anything nice to say dont open your mouth

12. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That is cringing to look at. Yeah it was just some very minor denting I would have let it go, but that's too serious to just leave alone, the rash is so bad.

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I just found a bed for my grandfathers truck 800.00, then I will paint it myself, about 100 in material for my friends shop.

you could find a replacement bed and be under 2500 easy. then you also still get the truck and it wont be tied up at a dody shop for a week and a 1/2.

I am around a body shop 24/7

just get a bed for it, craigslist is a good source, even at full cost from a yard they are under 1500.

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

a fine comment, no sarcasrm I see,

to answer your question, when alot is going on around you or you are in a situation and wrecking havoc on metal you dont always react so quick, your brain is still processing the info while your acting,

people floor it all the time when in panic mode, hell some lady was here the other day, she bumped a car while backing up, then went forward while in a panic and hit 2 others:crazy: ....parking lots are fun:D

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

deff look for a new bed, try a place that builds work trucks, craiglise, junkyard etc, i think it would be alot cheaper

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wish you were closer we have two 8-foot dodge beds up on the ranch -brand new never been used both trucks got flatbeds as soon as they were brought home. one is the same color as yours just doesn't have the silver on the bottom

17. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Might want to check for companies around you that make those big diamond plate flat beds and utility toolbox beds. I know there is one fairly close to me and they have perfect beds sitting out there all the time. Lots of people take their cummins and have them converted to a work truck. Have you already reported it to the insurance company? I'm sure you could do it yourself pretty cheap if you shop around..

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Diito!..

First,sorry to see your truck in this shape!..your GF must feel pretty crappy about what happened..many relationships end when this happens..your one of the few guys that wouldn't flip out when this sort of thing happens evidently..bravo!..

I agree with the others--look for a whole "new used" bed at those places that install rack bodies and dump bodies,utility beds..the ones here are always selling like new "take offs" for 500-1000 bucks..my friend just got a '97 S-10 shortbed pickup --its bed looked like someone with a 20 lb hammer had a grudge against its former owner..rather than try to bang and dolly the dents out,he decided to look at local junkyards..he found a bed identical in color,in perfect shape,for only 200 bucks!..:laugh:

Now his old one is sitting in my backyard,awaiting to be used to hold firewood--I might put a mickey mouse trailer axle and tongue on it,just so I can tow it around the yard..I couldn't see junking a bed with just dents and no rot!-(plus its not that heavy,and would bring less than 15 bucks at the scrapyard.)--it has a bedliner too..all I need now is a matching "cap",and I can put another cord of wood in dry storage!..:D

19. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ehhh it will buff out ;)

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

No big deal not that much of a smart ass comment.

I guess you have never been in the situation before, sometimes you have to keep going. She was going like 3 mph, heard it and stopped, backed up and it just made it worse and got stuck so she had to go forward to get off, like I said it was a HUGE ass eyelet, not just a pole to rub off of..

Thanks man, she feels very bad. This relationship is pretty strong. She has wanted her own Cummins and even after all this she still wants one (maybe a shortbed) and I still want her to have one.

Ok so heres why I am just fixing it out of pocket. Its less in the long run (about 4K less). I called All Dodge (a junkyard for everything Dodges in Sac) and they didnt have a bedside. They had 2 beds both green and slightly damadged. By time I go get them, get the paint stripped, get the body work done, get it LineXed, its going to be about the same.

I also called all the ute box companies in the area, only one had a bed for my model, white and in decent shape, same story.

Im not going to do the work myself, no way, body work is not my thing. Like I said, this truck is/was in cherry condition, I am not about to start the downward spiral now and hack it up with a learning experience trying to save a buck. The truck wasnt free, it was a nice chunk of change and it deserves to be done right. Sh*t happennes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006