Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Best 4X4? NOT!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Sep 23, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

something funny happened at the detail shop yesterday..

My wife Lisa did a full detail on an '05 range rover. She cleaned the engine and engine bay with moderate hose pressure and our biodegradable cleaner, which is SOP on everything that gets detailed.

The next day, the owner shows up in a rental.. seems the range rover's computer was unhappy for some reason, and the SES light was popping on and off.. He had the dealership tow it, and he was all freaked about the fact she sprayed water under the hood..

Until she reminded him that she thought range rovers were touted as being able to cross the amazon in a single bound, and if they could go through anything, why would a little water hurt it.. it's mostly cladding under the hood anyway, with no exposed wires or anything. for a 70 thousand dollar truck, it sure seemed to live at the dealership an awful lot.. Then she mentioned that my blazers and her durango ( along with hundreds of our other customers) underwent the same treatment with no ill effects.

He got quiet, then went and yelled at the dealership some more. As time goes on, I think he's regretted buying rovers for the last few years. With the money he's spent on servicing them, he could have retired.

It's not like the owner didn't know she would clean the engine, heck, he wanted it done.

I think after it dried out, it was fine. At any rate, she got paid, and we still have the guy as a customer.

So, tell all your friends.. the range rover can handle anything except a good cleaning.

Tom

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nothing like a little water under the hood to ruin the "worlds most capable 4x4" From the Rover site - "When the pavement ends, the Range Rover continues to perform with seamlessly integrated systems.". As long as there is no water off road. :D

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thank you Ford...

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yeah, blame ford. I mean, they had a spectacular track record when BMW owned them. :rolleyes:

6. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

TAKE 10,000 electrical "systems" to make you a better 4-wheeler, ADD water, WAIT for sparks to fly.

Rover forgot the KISS principle years ago with US market equipment. At least everywhere else you can still buy a real Rover (Defender). Rovers are just yuppie trucks now.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

fun fact:

land rover lug nuts cost $15 apiece

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

THAT'S not even including shop mark-up. =)

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

hehe whats funny is they are so expensive yet so cheaply made

the metal sleeve on the outside expands after many heat cycles and you gotta hammer the socket onto the lug nut to get it off.

i take any chance i can to take a hammer to such a shnazzy car.