Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Best Dana 60 Question??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77blazin, Dec 19, 2004.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

I have a question for all the beefed up axles out there...
    What is the best Dana 60 to get for a 78 blazer, I mean whats the best one?
    The specs on the 60 like 3.73 gears or anything better?
    And do you have to get a 14 bolt corporate with the same specs as the front?
    What about Disk brakes for the rear do I really need it?

I have someone here in Hawaii that is selling a set for $2500 with new seals and an optional disk brake conversion on the rear, is that really a good price?
    Or should I get one from the junkyard that is going for $750 a set stock and still on the truck?
    Please help!!!
    Mike

2. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

Im in the same boat as you. I want some one tons for my 1/2 ton short bed. Ive called all the wrecking yards here on the big island, and no one has a wrecked 1 ton. Ive been keeping an eye out for a broke down cucv in some ones yard. With all the military bases on Oahu, you shouldnt have a problem finding an olive drab chevy. If you ever on the big island let me know, I have a ton of ulua poles and some killer spots!!!

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

'best' dana 60 is definitely 81 and up (larger inner axles)

definitely try to find a military CUCV they have 4.56 gears and a factory detroit locker in the rear

you don't necessarily have to get a 'matching' 14 bolt, but you must match the gears front to rear

rear discs are not necessary, but a very good upgrade because they decrease weight while improving efficiency.

4. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Reeser,
    Thanks for the info, A seller had told me that I needed a matching set of axles, meaning matching gears, I didn't know that and needed info here, just to be sure.

Grah (NOCHROME..)
    You should have junkyards in your area, if you can't find a CUCV and your neighbor ain't going to give it up, you're best bet will be the junkyards, certain pickups and comercial flatbeds heavy duty vehicles have straight axles, I was lucky enough to find one and its on a container!?
    Check with "Island Previews" www.islandpreviews.com and check out "Drivetrains" 3 1-tons showed up with one being a matching set.
    And that Ulua fishing thing, what kind poles you get?
    I'm a heavy fisherman to, I just got too much reels and not enough poles to fill them.
    Maybe we could hook up when I come down and do some baitcasting with a night of sliding baits.
    Then we can talk about papios and restoration of our blazers.
    Its good to see another Hawaiian pounding this site, I thought I was the only "Poi Pounder" here.
    Tight Lines!
    Mike

5. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

Thanks for the link!!!! Got some searching to do for that infamous dana 60!!!