Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the best ghost story!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NEOMASTINO2U, Oct 23, 2002.

1. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

lets see who has the best ghost story since it is almost halloween! the rule is it has to be a true ghost story whether its your own personal ghost or a story you have heard! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Come on lets hear some spooky ones!

Kelly

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

This is not really a ghost story but a popular "haunted spot" story from when I was younger. Here goes:

Growing up in the South, nearly all ghost stories in some way shape or form relate to, as we like to call it down here, the War of Northern Agression. I was born in and spent most of young life in Middle Tennessee in a town called Columbia. This area is referred to as Tennessee's plantation country and there were numerous Civil War battlefields in and around my small home town, so the concentration of ghost stories is probably amplified here even greater than other locations.

As a kid we lived in the country and there was basically only one way into town from this direction. Everyday we would always pass this one huge piece of property with these two large stacked stone columns on either side of a shady little drive. Everyone said this place was supposedly the site of a bloody battle and there were numerous unmarked graves there. The ghostly part of the story went that you had to go at either dawn or dusk, but when you entered the property between the two stone columns I described earlier, you could pass through with no evidence of a gate but when you returned there would be a large wooden gate there. This gate was supposedly defended by Confederate soldiers to protect this property that allegedly housed some Colonel's headquarter during the war. The fence was, again allegedly, destroyed by the Union during the battle, but the last few soldiers left to defend still closed it every night and opened it every morning. The worst part was and you would have to open the "ghost gate" to leave.

As I got a little older, my older cousins further fed my imagination with there "ghostly experiences" there and my desire to see for myself intensified. So one night at about this time of year an older cousin of mine convinced his brother and me, who were both about 11 at the time, to go out and see this "haunted spot" for ourselves.

My older cousin even further intensified things while we were still at the safety of my grandmother's house, by making us decide who was going to open the gate. He wouldn't take us until we decided, because he said he sure as heck wasn't going to. Being egged on by our uncles, his younger brother and I decided we would do it together. So we waited until about an half hour before dusk, with our imaginations running wild the whole afternoon, then we loaded up in my cousins car and headed for the spot. We get to the location with about ten minutes of daylight left and turn in. His brother and I both convinced that he is lying to us made him stop the car right as we passed through the columns to prove there was a gate there and this was all an elaborate joke. Unfortunately as we examined the area from the safety of the car, we established there was in fact no gate present on either side of the road. Reluctantly, we agreed to continue on with our ghost hunting. My cousin at this point instructed us not to look back because if we see the "ghosts" closing the gates behind us they will never be allow us to leave. My cousing drives the car down the drive and over a small hill, where it was "safe" to turn around because you couldn't see the entrance from this point on the property. He slowly drives the car back toward the highway (at this time I think my heart is about to pound out of my chest because I am so full of anticipation) and right before we crest the hill to catch our first glimpse of the "ghost gate" he kills the lights and stops the car. He turns to us and asks his if we are ready to see what we are about to see. It is now just barely light enough to see and we are both about to pee ourselves we are so excited. We eventually settle down enough to tell him yes. He takes the car out of park and idles it over the hill. His brother in the front seat and me in the back both let out a blood-curdling little girl scream as our eyes, to our pure amazement, see the "ghost gate". My older cousin stops the car again and tells his brother and me, we have to get out now and open the gate so we can leave. We look at him like he was crazy and told him there was NO WAY we are getting out of this car. He calmly reminded us we had made a promise at my grandmother's house and he never would have brought us if we weren't going to open the gate. After some more persuasion and threats to tell our uncles what little babies we were (our uncles are relentless with teasing), we got out of the car and headed for the "ghost gate". By this time we are both about to hyperventilate because we are so scared, but we continued walking down the drive. The situation was not helped by the fact this was a shady drive with lots of trees that had snapping branches and rustling creatures like squirrels and chipmunks. Everytime we heard something we would jump, grab each other and look back at my cousin who was idling the car up the drive behind us. My older cousing would give us a dirty look, indicating under no circmstances were we to come back to the car. So we continued, as we got closer and closer, it got darker and darker and the gate became clearer and clearer to see. We were now without a doubt convinced there was a gate there. About one-hundred feet from the gate and what had seemed like two hours of walking we noticed something didn't look right, but our imaginations are still on overdrive, so we continue on. By the time it is full on dark, and the closer we got to the gate, the more odd it appeared, but we were still convinced it was a "ghost gate". Then, about forty feet away and what seemed like an eternity of walking, we finally realized what we were seeing. It was an optical illusion, the doors from the root cellar from across the highway lined up perfectly with the columns and gave the appearance of a gate when the lighting was right. Ecstatic over our new discovery, we turned towards the car to see my older cousin in tears from his non-stop hysterical laughter. However, his brother and I didn't care, we were just glad there was no "ghost gate".

When my older cousin got back to my grandmothers he couldn't wait to tell my uncles. Still to this day, and I am 28 now, when I ride by that spot with my cousin I can't help but laugh at the thought of how we looked. Not to mention that my dad, uncles or older cousin will never ever let us forget. Now I am just passing time until the day comes when I get the opportunity to pass this "rite of passage" onto some unsuspecting impressionable young family member.

3. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    thats a good one!LOL!

keep em' coming guys it is almost halloween!
    kelly

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif lol. that is really funny. i know i would be scared $hitless. damn why are older cousins always so mean? lol. later.

jacob

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OH Man thats freaky! I'm glad my cozins only beat the crap outta me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Maybe I'll call 'em and thank 'em now. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif