Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The BEST Q-Jet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Dec 15, 2001.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Hi all, I just ordered the GM 35- Crate and would like to replace the Edel. Performer to a Q-Jet....In your most humblest opinion, based on of course experience..WHO MAKES THE BEST Q-JET, HOW MUCH AND WHERE CAN I GET IT. One engine builder said kragen (yes, kragen) has Q-Jets that Holley is building that are rebuilt and good....

Thanks all..HAVE a Great Christmas...........

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

if you can afford it get an edelbrock Q. brand new and itll outlast the engine.. they are pricey but with a new engine, dont skimp!

second to that I would only run one that I rebuilt.. Ive had really good luck rebuilding my own, even from semi-crappy cores... the Qjet is one bad-@ss carb. good call replacing that other edelbrock.

mike

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I remember one of the 4 wheelin mags had a how-to on rebuilding Q-jets...at the end they noted that a new one might be the best option for some. In their testing, they found the Jet Performance Q-jet to slightly edge the Edel Q-Jet in performance. It (naturally!) also costs a little more. Personally, tho I have no experience with either, I'd go with the Jet....

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have a reman. Holley from Kragen's and it works fine. It fixed my fuel delivery problems, so i am happy [​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v heard a lot of good things about the<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jetchip.com/fuel/streetmaster800.cfm>Jet performance Q-jet</a>
    The only person I know who is using one has it on his 20' boat with a chev 350. He likes it

6. high&liftedup

How much did you spend on the reman. from kragen????..AND , how long have you had it???

Thanks Bro...

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have NEVER had good luck with the Q-Jets rebuilt by holly. I have twice used them and both times I went through multiple carbs before I got a good one. The last go around I got hacked because #3 was not right. I made PepGirls give me a rwbuild kit and fixed it myself. Float was not installed correctly and pourd gas out of the vent.
    As for the year....79 is a good year. can handle any of the emmisions you might have. Does not have that horrible mixture control solonoid and easily converted to electric choke. It has a closed float bowl that if your not running a EVap can that you will need to make a provision in the air cleaner to route the vent hose but that vent system is one of the things that makes it work better than the old style that has the vent on the top. It has a smaller chamer above the float so it resits the nose up stall problem that you get with the older version. I just got a used 79 Q-Jet that I will be replacing the one on my 75 with for that very reason.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

My remaned by Holly broke a metering rod withen a month. Took it back under warenty, bought an Edlebrock 1904 series. Best thing I ever did for my motor. Its amazing. And relable. Spend the extra, it wont let you down.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. high&liftedup

Alright.... How bout the reman. Q-Jet from Edelbrock???.. Its bout $70.00 less than new.. not that I want to skimp but any thoughts on this carb???

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Grimm.
    I checked 4 differnt Q-jets (2 old/1 mid/1 electric mixer) All the vents looked the same to me. Could you describe the '79 vent style your talking about.
    The only noicible differnce between the carbs (except the 'lectric) that I see is the Main circut Air-bleeds. The (I asssume) old style carbs have the air-bleeds located next to the screw inside the choke tower and the point streight-up. The newer carbs have the Air-bleeds extended out to above the booster. Is this a good way to "ball-park" the model year of the carb?

I've inspected several Q-jets of unknown years lattely, and other than some slight changes, they all look pretty close to the same basic casting (are they?). The Air-bleeds and vacume ports are easily seen and I would think, would be a easy way to tell one Jet from another. (?)
    J
    ust to confuse my-self even more, I've seen 'Lectric Q-Jets run both styles of air bleeds (stubbys and extended)

BTW- Figured out the "flow bench" and I'm testing the 'cut jet, it's looking pretty good.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have a jet perf reman q jet they rebuilt my original and its good except that they peened the housing where the power valve is and it got stuck , i had to fix that , i got the phase 2 rebuild . hope this help love that carb otherwise

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The newer Emmision carbs vent the fuel bowl differently. The older versions vent straight up through the lid. The newer versions have a vent on the front of the carb that routes the to the EVAP can. The shape of the upper chamber in the lid is different and some also have a block of plastice that fist in there to control fuel slosh. The electric mix control may be different because it takes some space in there also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim, you wouldn't by chance be able to take some pics highlighting the differences in the 79 Q-jet, would you? I am very curious to see, as I am trying to find the best casting to rebuild for my 77. Thanks [​IMG].

<font color=purple>Jeff427</font color=purple>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design</a>

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I bought an Edelbrock Q-jet #1902. It was pricey, but I'm very happy with it. I went with 3 rebuilt Q-jets before this one, and it's definitely worth it. I've had mine for more than a year now. The only "mod" I did was to change the primary jets one step smaller due to the high altitude I live in. This one is definitely being transferred to my 454.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had remanned Q-jets, some Holleys, and had several problems with each (got them to work well, but it took some time). On this engine I put on a Edlebrock 1904 and the only thing I had to do was adjust the fast idle rpm setting and a slight (read would have worked well without doing it) tweak on the idle mixture screws and it has performed like a dream. Remember this is the first carb I have bought from them, but it is nice and I have heard things from others on this board and elsewhere who have good luck with them. You can get a lemon with whatever you buy, but you decrease your risk with one of these. JMHO.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Check out My Jimmy with all her projects!

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am smog exempt and non-EGR[​IMG] w/devorced choke on manafold (yes it works just fine)

I have been using the Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet sence '95ish. I just rebuilt the whole thing, soaking, cleaning the works. This was SO simple to do it was GREAT!! After slaping it back on and pumped some fuel into it Varrrooommmm, sucker started right up[​IMG]. I made my adjustments to the Air/Fuel a little tweak on the timming...runs like new again!!!!
    I haven't used any other aftermarket carbs but this one has served me VERY well and I'm stickin with it!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>